New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  13:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any circumstances where a Royal would delay a shed? Had mine getting on 5 weeks and he shows absolutely no signs whatever of beginning a shed cycle.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  13:55:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had one go 204 days before shedding recently...

Yes that is quite extreme, but a few months isn't too unusual.

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  17:12:10  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think it depends on there growing rate doesnt it BE? ash he was younger mine dead every month but now he has moved onto rat weaners and eats every 7-10ish days he aint shed for 2 weeks. im going to see if he will eat aroiund the 7 days mark instead of leaving it for 10 cause i went to feed him on sat and i was puting paper down outside his viv so he dnt get aspen on his food and he shot out his hide at my finger lol, and then he waited for his food then. but he could prob smell the rat on the paper cause ive used it in previouse feeds

i dnt no why i use the paper cause he drags it into his hide anyway lol
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  18:42:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Growth does play a large part, yes.

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my big gal only shed 3 times a year , and the lillte one sheds every 6 weeks so amasssive diff , size,age,weight every thing has an impact on it , 5 weeks id nothing to worry about.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Well, last night, he shed. Beautiful clean shed, all came off in one go, including the eyes caps etc. What puzzles me is that there were no concrete signs of an impending shed (nothing you could hang your hat on anyway) other than an almost imperceptable 'dulling' of colour and a very slight 'blueing' of the eyes which lasted 2 days at most and only started about 3 days ago. Plus, he took his food as normal yesterday which i'm led to believe isn't normal during a shed cycle. We've got a bullet proof boy there I reckon, nothing seems to phase him. Hasn't been for a cack yet though.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:10:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:17:59  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great news, some pythons do eat during shed, ours does, but it depends on the individual snake whether it does or not.

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there's 9 fuzzy mice in there somewhere, somethings got to give!

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

carr13
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good news with the shed, I think the eating during a shed is an individual thing, I have 3 royals and 2 eat regardless of shed but one is really fussy and refuses at the least lil thing lol snakes gotta love em
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  14:03:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fuzzy mice are really too small for a Royal so he may just be absorbing the whole thing.

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  14:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The size of the fuzzies has been a little inconsistant, some of them are about half the size of a small mouse, some much smaller and barely out of 'pink'. He's had about half and half, two at a time. Slightly worried that he managed to eat a single piece of coarse beech chip substrate along with his meal yesterday, but he's getting much bigger now - gotta be getting on for about 18" long - and hopefully he'll pass that without too much difficulty.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  15:21:37  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
put kitchen towel on the substrate at feeding time to avoid him eating anymore of it, it could get impacted into him.

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  16:15:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Even a hatchling Royal can take a small adult mouse, or preferably a rat pup

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  19:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but do you reckon him eating that bit of substrate will be an issue - beech chippings are kinda square...

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not ideal, no, that's why I use Aspen/Aubiose or as Lou says, put some kitchen towel down or feed out of the viv. Fingers crossed he'll pass it without need for a vet.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  22:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a small piece of aspen will not cause a problem but you really do need to up the size of the food as for shedding I have one that shed within 2 weeks and others that go for 8-9 weeks so don't panic too much

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000