The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 A few bad sheds.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sch1sm Posted - 24/09/2010 : 10:15:35
I am totaly new to keeping Royals and i have a few questions regarding a snake that i bought privately a few days ago.

Crawleys previous owner had issues with handeling him and as a result when i picked him up i noticed that he had about 5mm of falied shed on his tail. I soaked it and removed it and the process didnt cause him any distress but what came away was a solid lump of what i can only describe as callous like tissue, there was also a little blood. i cleaned him up changed his substrate for clean aspen and i have allowed his viv to dry a little to aid healing. An i doing the right stuff and what else should i be doing?

As he was not purchased from a petshop i have very little access to info about him so any help would be apreciated there are pictures here http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4457

Thanx
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fiestastlou Posted - 05/10/2010 : 15:20:11
great to hear :)
sch1sm Posted - 05/10/2010 : 15:14:31
Quick update on Crawley. He's fine. His tail tip looks a little odd and now he has had a couple of feeds with me and i have had chance to handle him a little more he seems in good health, Hes put about 50g on too. :)
sch1sm Posted - 24/09/2010 : 12:39:30
Thanx Matey.
Im Keeping an eye on him and there has been no more bleeding. Hes keeping to himself a lot but as i have read on the forums thats normal for royals especialy if they have just been moved.
Blackecho Posted - 24/09/2010 : 11:27:46
If retained shed is left on a tail tip, necrosis can occur, whereby as no blood can get through due to the old skin contracting, the tip will actually die and fall off. It sounds like that is what has happened to Crawley. Make sure the wound is kept clean (if its still open), you could get some Tamodine from the vets/rep shop to clean it and I would change the substrate to clean kitchen towel until it has healed personally.

Have you got any pictures of the tail tip?

PS. It won't do him any long term harm as long as its not infected.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000