New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sch1sm
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  10:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am totaly new to keeping Royals and i have a few questions regarding a snake that i bought privately a few days ago.

Crawleys previous owner had issues with handeling him and as a result when i picked him up i noticed that he had about 5mm of falied shed on his tail. I soaked it and removed it and the process didnt cause him any distress but what came away was a solid lump of what i can only describe as callous like tissue, there was also a little blood. i cleaned him up changed his substrate for clean aspen and i have allowed his viv to dry a little to aid healing. An i doing the right stuff and what else should i be doing?

As he was not purchased from a petshop i have very little access to info about him so any help would be apreciated there are pictures here http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4457

Thanx

Edited by - sch1sm on 24/09/2010 10:16:55

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  11:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If retained shed is left on a tail tip, necrosis can occur, whereby as no blood can get through due to the old skin contracting, the tip will actually die and fall off. It sounds like that is what has happened to Crawley. Make sure the wound is kept clean (if its still open), you could get some Tamodine from the vets/rep shop to clean it and I would change the substrate to clean kitchen towel until it has healed personally.

Have you got any pictures of the tail tip?

PS. It won't do him any long term harm as long as its not infected.

Go to Top of Page

sch1sm
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Matey.
Im Keeping an eye on him and there has been no more bleeding. Hes keeping to himself a lot but as i have read on the forums thats normal for royals especialy if they have just been moved.
Go to Top of Page

sch1sm
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update on Crawley. He's fine. His tail tip looks a little odd and now he has had a couple of feeds with me and i have had chance to handle him a little more he seems in good health, Hes put about 50g on too. :)
Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  15:20:11  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great to hear :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page