Strange behaviour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  21:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone.

I decided to try and feed Valhalla today as I tried her 4 days ago and she didn't seem interested.

Back then I opened up the glass, picked up her hide and place it on the floor, gave her a few minutes to realize I wasn't threatening and then picked her up and placed her in another box to bed fed as I've always done.

However this time when I put her hide on the floor and gave her a few minutes I noticed she was coiled very tightly and looked pretty p***ed off which I've not seen before, I also noticed there was some shed skin underneath her, this is strange because it wasn't there 4 days ago and 4 days ago she was showing no signs of shedding (No colour change in her eyes and her skin was smooth as its always been) I leant in a little closer to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and she struck out at my face, obviously I was nowhere near close enough for her to hit me but she hissed loudly and then coiled back up in the same position. This really shocked me and gave me a fright, In a month or so she has now struck at me and my girlfriend which is rather annoying as most people I speak to have only ever been bit once or twice in their whole snake keeping lives.

I had finished preparing her mice and had just thoroughly cleaned my hands with the same soap I always use, and I don't remember rubbing a mouse on my face so pretty sure it wasn't a "Oh are you food?" moment.

I left the hide outside her viv for the moment as I want her to move to the other hide so I can take a better look at the skin, but she's sat on top of it refusing to move for the last 15-20 minutes, from what I can see there isn't enough skin for it to be a full shed but I'll know more when I get it out.

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  22:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really weird! Poor Valhalla, and poor you! Hopefully there will be someone along soon who knows a bit more about this sort of behaviour - it does seem related to shedding when they are moody - even my corns can get grumpy - but in the meanwhile, all my best wishes that you get Valhalla back to normal as soon as possible. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks :) Will have to keep trying with her until she realizes I'm not dangerous to her, just a shame that she's so hostile today.

Also- She's still not moved away from the shed skin but she is moving around on the spot, going in circles- looks like she's rubbing her body against the substrate so maybe shedding, just strange how I didn't see the signs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  23:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... certainly sounds as if she's going into full shed mode - I know they CAN do this to you from observing (or trying to) my corns. I keep detailed feeding and blue and shedding records, but a couple of times they've outwitted me, and it's been oh! a shed!

The corns can go shiny skinned as soon as their eyes clear - this confused me a bit at first until I realised it was normal. Also, if they've been acting a bit 'private' I've respected this and missed the blue-eyed bit as well. Sounds like Valhalla has kept her 'blue' to herself and will be her old sweet self as soon as she's shed? Hope so. Hope the problem is resolved soon - all the best!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  09:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Woke up this morning to check on her, she's finally moved away from the spot she was sat in last night and I can take a look at the shed skin, it was all in a small pile and mostly stuck together but when I finally untangled it the skin does look like a full shed, wouldn't have any idea how long it's been there for but it must have been shed between last night and 4 days ago.

I put the two mice I was going to feed her last night in her viv so she could eat them in the night as I didn't want to risk taking her out after she was so aggressive, I also lost my nerve a little with her after hearing her hiss and strike for me Today one of the mice are gone so she must have eaten at least one which is good.

Will try get her out again after 24 hours and hope she's not in a p***ed off mood again.

Go to Top of Page

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  09:54:04  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if she only took the mouse during the night give it 48 hours so can digest before trying to get her out again, royals can be decieving when they go into shed, ours went into shed last week and we didnt even realise he was due to, had no signs! they like to trick us lol
try not to take the hissing and striking to heart, the snakey was prob just startled that u took the hide off when it was getting ready to shed, ours do it all the time, espech my corn, she likes to try have a nip when i go into change her waterbowl during shed lol. give her a few days to digest the food then get her out again just to make sure theres no shed left on her and im sure it will be fine :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  10:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Will do, is it worth putting a moss hide in? Was my original plan for when she showed signs but since she's already shed most of it now not sure it's worth it.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean she's shed most of it? - Can you still see some on her?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  19:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, as far as I understand, as long as her eyecaps and tailtip are safely off, there isn't much to worry about, especially as she sounds to have shed pretty comprehensively (should have seen Shahi last time - he looked as if he'd been dressing up in a net curtain!)

If the eyecaps and tailtip are still in place, yes I would try the moss hide - but I'm no expert - every time I've tried a damp hide, the little git never used it!

Any odd scraps left along Valhalla's body ought to come off with a slide through a damp towel once it's safe to handle her again after her meal; if not, a bath might be in order.

I do hope she's calmed down now - sounds as if she ought to have, and eating is a good sign too. I've been lucky - I've never encountered this degree of grumpiness, I will admit - though there's every chance my time will come as my snakes get older.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  20:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Her eye's are clear no caps on them I can't quite get a look at her tail without disturbing her but from looking at her yesterday she seemed to be fully shed, the skin was pretty long but it was so compact together where she'd been sat on it that I couldn't unravel it to check it out completely.

Looks like she's shed it all but last night she was doing alot of rubbing her body against the substrate, might just be me reading too much into her movement, I mean they don't exactly have legs so they're pretty much always rubbing against the floor haha. I'll check her out tomorrow and see what's going on with her properly :)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  20:38:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good shed to me and no need for a damp hide for her.

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  14:25:20  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
within 4 days a couple of mine can go blue .clear then shed 1 can do it over nite so u may of just missed it , try feeding her in her viv as she sounds alittle scared too me hope that helps a little but dont give up hope it will pay off xx

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  11:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Took Valhalla out last night after having to work up the nerves to put my hand in again, bloody coward I was, took me so long she decided to help out by coming to me haha.

Anyway we're back on speaking terms now after her violent episode so doesn't look like we'll need to split up our dvd collection just yet hehe

She was very well behaved and I introduced her to a nice new log I had prepared for her a few days back, she seemed to love it. Wouldn't get off it once she saw it, held her for about 20 minutes which is probably our longest hold and she wasn't in the least bit nervous, although she did scare my girlfriend by trying to crawl over and say hello to her, she's still not quite got the courage to hold her herself yet, nevermind- maybe later.

Thanks for the support with this issue, we're pretty sure it was just the shedding making her angry.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000