The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Diablo force feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 15/11/2010 : 13:53:27
Hello!

I took Diablo to my local reptile shop today to get him checked out to make sure he's okay, since he's exactly 2 months old today, and hasn't eaten in a month I was a little worried.

Simon, the chap who works there- said that he's very underweight, he showed me how when running my finger on his belly you can feel into his ribs which is a sign that he is too skinny, he estimated that Diablo had maybe fed once or twice before I got him and suggested that I attempt to assist/force feed him, he showed me a few techniques on how to do it and gave me some suitable sized mice to start him with, I'll begin trying tomorrow but hopefully once the mouse is pushed to his nose Diablo will realize whats going on and take a bite himself.

I'll keep you all updated to little Diablo's progress in this thread.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 19/12/2010 : 20:34:26
Also to end this thread with a happy ending, there is a picture of Diablo eating a mouse now on my other post.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4820
Kelfezond Posted - 11/12/2010 : 21:13:04
quote:
Originally posted by jackie wilcox

but marley looks painfully thin

If when you run your finger down the belly of the snake you can feel the ribs really pronounced then they might need assist feeding (Or so I'm told by my local reptile shop)
n/a Posted - 11/12/2010 : 19:46:05
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

The whole point of assist feeding is to get a snake feeding that won't strike or coil,

The point of assist feeding is to get a snake eating that just wont do it for itself, royals dont necessarily have to strike and constrict to eat, my adult male wont strike or coil and only eat if left in his RUB.

Oh right, yes, I SHOULD have said that the whole point of assist is to get a snake eating that won't TAKE the prey (by whatever method.)
GMac Posted - 11/12/2010 : 19:37:43
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

The whole point of assist feeding is to get a snake feeding that won't strike or coil,

The point of assist feeding is to get a snake eating that just wont do it for itself, royals dont necessarily have to strike and constrict to eat, my adult male wont strike or coil and only eat if left in his RUB.
n/a Posted - 11/12/2010 : 19:11:55
Hi, Jackie, I answered your other thread.

The whole point of assist feeding is to get a snake feeding that won't strike or coil, whereas your boys are already doing this. If you give us a few more details on the other thread you posted, perhaps we can come up with some useful advice and help you get them feeding regularly - Royalbob posted up a good tip about waggling the prey to get them to continue constricting and eating more eagerly.

Oops, edit - I know it's hard, but handling - I mean cuddles apart from necessary brief handling - isn't a good idea until they're eating regularly. I don't know why this should be myself, but it does work, to leave them alone until they're eating well. They will be the better for it. (But I realise it is hard!)

Good luck and all the best - I'm sure you'll find some answers - you've come to the right place.
jackie wilcox Posted - 11/12/2010 : 18:48:27
im sorry to hear about diablo iue got to born 3rd oct im beginnin to think they haue neua eaten iue got them to strike they constuct then leaue it they do bite it al oua but its like they r hungry an dont know wot to do im sorry im new to ths site an am prob doin ths wrong but please does anybody haue any ideas jacob is bigger but marley looks painfully thin al they wanna do is get out for cuddles
n/a Posted - 08/12/2010 : 11:45:03
Congrats!
GMac Posted - 08/12/2010 : 01:05:33
nice one, and typical
Kelfezond Posted - 08/12/2010 : 00:49:48
Diablo had his first feed with me today :D I took some pictures but can't find the damn cable, will update later!
n/a Posted - 27/11/2010 : 21:05:57
Awww so glad to hear!
Kelfezond Posted - 27/11/2010 : 20:54:52
Diablo had a small mouse at the shop yesterday and we bought him home to stay with us again today, all is now right in the world :D
reptiledanny Posted - 23/11/2010 : 07:52:16
congrats, thats great news, fingers crossed it continues, will have to show bow this thread to encourage her
Royalbob Posted - 22/11/2010 : 21:29:39
Thats great news
n/a Posted - 22/11/2010 : 16:33:24
That's really great! Congrats!!
Kelfezond Posted - 22/11/2010 : 16:11:20
Went to visit Diablo at the store today, he took another meal which was fantastic and this time we managed to get him to strike for it too :D
Will take him home on the weekend and get another feed in him
Lettsy1 Posted - 19/11/2010 : 12:58:20
Congrats!!! fingers crossed it will be fine. I had to assist my sis in laws hatchling, only did it twice and she got the idea and is wolfing them down now!
n/a Posted - 18/11/2010 : 22:53:50
Looks like he's got the idea! Bless him! Congrats!
Royalbob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 20:47:45
Thats great news kelfezod, hell be snatching them rat pups out the tongs in no time.

quote:
Brilliant idea m8 I think I'll try this to see if I can get Orlina on rats

no worries worked for me to switch one of mine from gerbils and multi's to rats

nok1888 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 14:11:01
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Sorry to hear about diablo. have you tried fresh gerbil bedding. just ask at your local pet shop for some, get it from the gerbils sleeping area. defrost rat pup then shake him in some of the bedding. worked a treat with one of mine.

Brilliant idea m8 I think I'll try this to see if I can get Orlina on rats
Kelfezond Posted - 18/11/2010 : 12:49:11
Diablo has gone to live with Simon for the week for his assist feeding, I watched Simon assist him today and it was super, slightest nudge on his nose from the mouse and Diablo had it in his coils, Simon then hung him from his tail on a hook which he didn't seem to have any problem hanging his bodyweight from only his tail, that was quite cool. Apparently it's better for him when assisting to hang with his meal as it stops him dropping it on the ground and helps his muscles work the meal down.

We estimate he'll be striking within the week after that performance, great stuff :D

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000