Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  13:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I took Diablo to my local reptile shop today to get him checked out to make sure he's okay, since he's exactly 2 months old today, and hasn't eaten in a month I was a little worried.

Simon, the chap who works there- said that he's very underweight, he showed me how when running my finger on his belly you can feel into his ribs which is a sign that he is too skinny, he estimated that Diablo had maybe fed once or twice before I got him and suggested that I attempt to assist/force feed him, he showed me a few techniques on how to do it and gave me some suitable sized mice to start him with, I'll begin trying tomorrow but hopefully once the mouse is pushed to his nose Diablo will realize whats going on and take a bite himself.

I'll keep you all updated to little Diablo's progress in this thread.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 15/11/2010 13:53:59

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, i found it more stressful than Little Mo when i had to assist her. Fortunately she only needed 5 assists and then she was off like a rocket.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  19:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry to hear about Diablo.

From my reading on this forum I gather it's quite a common problem, but assisting often seems to turn them around.

There's a difference between assist and force. I gather 'force' is where you have to ease the prey right down the snake's throat with no co-operation from the snake. 'Assist' is where you gently wiggle the prey between the snake's lips, which triggers off the feeding response; the snake will actually grip and coil enthusiastically and begin feeding for itself. There are some videos on youtube, if you google assist feeding, and it's quite amazing how the snake responds.

If you are at all nervous about doing this, could Simon help you, or do the first assist to show you, even if it means taking Diablo back into the shop (not a thing you'll want to do, I know.) But from what I gather, a few people have been amazed by the ease at which the snake cottons on to a tasty mouse slipped into its mouth. I imagine the trickiest bit is holding the snake gently enough, which I'm sure you'll do.

All the very best and good luck - it may not turn out to be as nerve-wracking as it seems.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  19:33:07  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i am considering assist feeding with bow if she doesn' eat withing the nest 4 weeks as she has gone 4 weeks with me now without eating and only had 4 feeds at the breeders (was born in september, didn't eat for about 4 weeks as she was still digesting her yolk, then fed four times, then came to me) i dont really want to do it so will be looking for someone who nows what they are doing in the manchester area or even somewhere within 2 hours from me as i am wiling to travel to get her eating

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support.

From what Simon was telling me I'll be introducing the mousey to his mouth and hoping he constricts, if he refuses and gags trying to force it out I should just procede to very slowly and gently push the mouse "to the point of no return" where the snake as no choice but to take it down (although I guess he can just regurgetate it later, but hopefully he wont)

He said that if I have any trouble bring Diablo in and he'll either keep him at the store for a while or attempt the feed there and then. Good bunch of chaps at the shop so I'm not too worried but I would like to try it myself before I resort to somebody helping me, I don't plan on jamming the thing in there and hammering it down with a mallet to can't hurt him while i learn, if anything I'll probably chicken out halfway through and just bring him to the shop, head hung low in defeat hehe.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
theres no shame in asking for help especially when a life is at stake

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  22:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, I don't think his life is at stake though. I've seen a few videos and the chap showed me how to do it so worse case scenario he doesn't bite or I can't work the mouse in and I'll just take him to the shop.

However I'm hoping he'll chomp down once its pushed upto his face. I'll keep you all updated

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  07:27:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've assist fed a few, but I'd rather go live than force feed myself.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  10:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about that, but I don't know where I can get live food small enough for Diablo, not as if my local pet shop will be selling newborn mice :(

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  11:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about diablo. have you tried fresh gerbil bedding. just ask at your local pet shop for some, get it from the gerbils sleeping area. defrost rat pup then shake him in some of the bedding. worked a treat with one of mine.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  12:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Might be worth trying, I'll see if I can pick some up in a few days when I go down town.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  16:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, cost nothing and stress free.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  18:33:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Buy a Mummy mouse and a Daddy mouse...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  20:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have the room hehe, I probably also wouldn't have the heart to breed an animal, watch it born and raised and then just feed it to my snake :P I'mma sissy

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  21:34:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
awww ;)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  21:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well, a-hem.. I'm going to go drink a beer, watch some sports and scratch my balls to feel more manly :P

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  21:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Update number 1:

Well, fine, at least I tried...

I thought I'd offer him a small meal from a strike but he didn't seem interested so I let the thing dangle infront of his face, he got scared and struck it but only in defence, he ran away after and hid under some covers :(

I took him out and decided now or never, so got the little fella in my grip and introduced the mouse to his nose, but every time the mouse touched him he flinched back and I had to get my grip stronger again, after he managed to shake me 3 times my hands were shaking quite a bit so I thought, yeah screw it I'll ask Simon to do it for me later :P Least I tried.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  00:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you gave it a go. Never tried myself always gone for live, fresh killed or scented. Seems to just kick start them back into feeding. Very rare for a ball python to refuse gerbil or multimamate scent.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  00:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your in the rainham area try Coldblooded for some multi or gerbil bedding.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  00:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Miles away im afraid :(

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  12:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, let us know how it goes with the next try. good luck.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave