The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 I think she's under weight. & bad shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wendigo Posted - 20/03/2011 : 17:17:50
Hi. I got my first BP on Friday. It's a female approx 1 year old. At the moment, she's about 3 ft long give or take.
I handled her today for the first time she's been here, and she has a bit of loose skin, and doesn't feel too firm, quite soft actually. I'm feeding her tomorrow. I'm not sure what size feed at the moment, maybe a medium sized mouse? I'll upload some pictures soon. Will it be safe to feed her more often, like maybe twice a week or something to help bulk her up, so should i give her bigger meals.

Also the previous owners weren't giving her any help while shedding ( she had a small water bowl, but not really big enough for her to get in. and she wasn't getting misted etc) So while holding her today, i noticed on her underside, she has thick shed skin, and it looks a little sore. I have taken some pictures which i will upload soon. I've given her a bigger bowl, which she has only had her head and neck in. and i've also wet a tea towel which she has been using, but it hasn't helped much, so i'm buying some shed ease tomorrow which i will do her with before i feed her.

And advice you guys could give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wendigo Posted - 31/03/2011 : 15:27:34
Yeah i am so relieved, Wendy's such a lovely little girl it's about time she starts having a nice life.

Yeah i hope so too =)
n/a Posted - 31/03/2011 : 12:47:31
That's great, really pleased to hear - you must feel really relieved, and I bet Wendigo does too. It's such a good thing she found you!

Also good news about the RSPCA visit - I hope something gets done about those corns and any other neglected animals.
Wendigo Posted - 31/03/2011 : 12:38:05
Got back from the vets about 2 hours ago. She's hasn't been doing any clicky noises today, and it slipped my mind to mention about the clicking noises. Anyway, i have good news. She's healing up very well, and while bathing her today, i let her slide through the tissue paper to dry herself, and a lot of the scabbing has come off, and she has lovely healed skin under it. She seems a bit better in herself now, and isn't keeping the sore part of the floor while moving around. Also some more good news, we were talking to the vet today about how we were worried about his other snakes and stuff, and he said he's going to get an RSPCA Officer to pay a visit to them =D He has two corn snakes that he is breeding, and i don't think he's checked the female to see if she's breeding weight. D= They also had a horse that they rehomed, dogs, and fish, i just hope he knows how to look after them and that they are not suffering. (He also has kids. God help us)
n/a Posted - 30/03/2011 : 11:09:49
Yes, it can be loosening shed obstructing her nostrils, but I'd mention it to the vet just to be on the safe side. I'm a worrybucket, by the way, as you may have gathered lol - don't want to worry you further but since she's seeing the vet, no harm in mentioning eh? With any luck it will just be the shed.

All the best.
Wendigo Posted - 30/03/2011 : 10:55:36
Thanks =) In the past two day she has been doing some clicky popping sound while breating, but thats only started while she's going through the shed, and i heard that's quite common?
n/a Posted - 29/03/2011 : 18:11:17
Bless her - she sounds to be doing really well.

Yes, they can yawn - after feeding they will do a spectacular yawn and jaw waggle. I've also seen the yawn as a preliminary to shedding. Yawning is normal as long as it's not accompanied by wheezing or bubbling, but I should think your vet has checked her for any signs of respiratory infection, especially in her neglected condition.

A tube of shed off her tail ... omg. It's a good thing you got her because eventually the tail would have become necrotic.

I'm so glad you got her in time - and I bet she definitely is.

All the very best.
Wendigo Posted - 29/03/2011 : 15:15:18
Thanks =) I feel so sorry for her, had a little cry this morning, she must have been in so much pain, and it wouldn't have taken him 5 mins to get her to the vets. She is such a lovely little thing, very calm, even while she's going through the shed & pain, she hasn't struck, hissed or bit once. She has such a lovely nature. One thing i've noticed the past two times while bathing her, after a few mins in the water she opens her mouth for a second or two like she's yawning. Can they yawn or is it her way of trying to stretch the shed off her face? ( Her eyes are proper white now) I've been spraying shed ease over the top of her each time she comes out of her viv as by the looks of it, she hasn't been sheding very well, and a tube of shed came off her tail this morning.
Blackecho Posted - 28/03/2011 : 22:52:27
Sounds good, well done.

As BATS says, the shed is likely to be coming on due to the burn and probably the cream.

Also very unsurprised that she won't eat while all this is going on, try not to worry, you're doing a great job.
Lotabob Posted - 28/03/2011 : 21:02:54
You'll have to get a tiny guillotine. I tried to get my non eating corn to eat a brained rat pup today and he was having non of it. I have put it in with Duke on the off chance he fancies it, he won't come out while I'm watching TV though so will see what happens when I take the dog for a walk.
n/a Posted - 28/03/2011 : 20:54:19
LOL Bob, I tried your method today on a fuzzy for Cy, who is a very undersized one-eyed corn who only eats when she feels like it. Thought the brains oozing through the poor mousey's mouth might attract Cy, who hasn't eaten for a month.

No.

I lifted the fuzzy out and reverted to my old trick of decapitating the poor rodent with scissors (have tried every damn thing) and replaced it with Cy.

'There, you little sod, EAT!'

And she did. The body. Ass first.

Snakes, eh??
Lotabob Posted - 28/03/2011 : 20:21:03
haha, oops, next time the sharp bit points upwards. I got it wrong the first time I brained a mouse fuzzy, I held the skull too tightly and as the knife went through I basically burst its head between my fingers. That was a low point in my life for sure. Spot took one look at this smashed in mouse and turned his nose up.
Wendigo Posted - 28/03/2011 : 19:59:53
Lol, yeah i had a hammer, screwdriver, and saw. lol, only joking. i did a sharp knife through the mouth. I hope she'll take food soon though as she feels like a bag of bones =(. Thanks =)
n/a Posted - 28/03/2011 : 11:30:48
Blimey, what did you use to brain the mouse? A sledgehammer lol?

I find it's easiest snipping the skull (only a tiny slit) with scissors when the rodent's part defrosted. It's only like cutting meat. Lotabob just sticks a sharp knife in through the mouth, says it's less messy.

Sometimes they just don't want to eat, especially at this time of the year - she'll start in her own sweet time.

Glad to hear the burn treatment is coming along well. Yes, according to my Kevin McCurley ball python book, snakes may shed more often when injured or diseased, certainly sounds like that's what she's doing.

All the very best.
Wendigo Posted - 28/03/2011 : 10:57:46
Oh, also another thing. She's recently come out of a shed, but it looks like she's going through another one. her color has gone dull and the black markings have a blue tint to it, her eyes have gone a bluey color too. Do you think it's her way of getting rid of the burn?
Wendigo Posted - 28/03/2011 : 10:49:47
Hi! Sorry for the lack of updates. We went to the vets on Thursday, he checked her and said it's looking a bit better. He said to carry on with the bathing in salt water, then apply Flamazine. He said it for humans, but the pet on is exactly the same. I'm to apply it to the burns once a day. It's looking a lot better now, it doesn't look as sore, and looks like it's starting to heal. I'm to take her back again this thursday to he can check up on her again. I tried to feed her on Friday with an extra large mouse ( the previous owners were feeding her on mice) but she didn't want to take it, i even brained it as well and she still want having it, i felt sick braining it, and don't ask me how but i managed to cut of part of the tongue D=.
STICKS Posted - 23/03/2011 : 18:06:50
Hi there how's it going and well done.I think it's safe to say that all of us on here are behind you and your snakes recovery keep us updated.D.
n/a Posted - 23/03/2011 : 13:38:56
You know, it's years since I thought about this, but back in the 80s I knew a wonderful homeopathic vet; he wasn't local and I communicated with him by phone and letter and he was brilliant. At that time I had a cat who had to have surgery twice for stomach tumours ... both times it went septic, and then necrotic ...Needless to say I was up and down to the vet but in those days a vet relied on the owner most of the nursing, and Mr Barratt, the homeopath, sent me some tincture of hypercal. With the approval of the vet, I bathed the affected places and George (the cat) recovered.

I've just found a site called 'Positive Medicine' that sells this tincture for £9.50 (haven't sussed out postage yet.) It's recommended for burns and injuries of all kinds and apparently works well with deep injuries as it allows the deeper tissue to heal first without trapping infection. I'm going to order some just to have in my medicine cupboard - remembering George's quite horrific infection and the way it responded to this stuff, I think it's worth having, and of course it's safe for all animals and humans of all ages, so I'm posting to recommend it to anyone who might like to try an alternative antiseptic to augment veterinary or medical treatment.

Salt water is a good traditional home remedy, I've used a lot of that in my time too. (Usual Saturday night scenario, all vets closed, cat climbs on knee for a stroke ... what the hell's that lump? 'Been fighting again, Lil, got an abscess.' Animals eh?)

With all very best wishes for Wendigo to be back on her feet (love it lol) very soon!
Wendigo Posted - 23/03/2011 : 11:07:15
Hi guys. I've been bathing her which she seems comfortable with, it still looks sore, but the salt water isn't to heal it really, its just to keep it clean and to prevent infection. The vet is seeing her again tomorrow to give her treatment. So hopefully it won't take her long to back on her hmmm feet? lol. that saying so doesn't work for feetless animals xD
Tawfik47 Posted - 23/03/2011 : 10:49:57
Hope your snake will be good soon Wendigo :)
With those guys around you and the experience they have, you don't have to be worry about your snake.
BlueDragon Posted - 23/03/2011 : 10:41:53
Wow, that really is a mess isn't it? : (

Good on you for taking her though, and looking after her good : ) I agree that a bulb and guard for heating would be much better, the mat is only going to encourage the problem.

Fingers crossed she heals well soon.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000