Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  17:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I got my first BP on Friday. It's a female approx 1 year old. At the moment, she's about 3 ft long give or take.
I handled her today for the first time she's been here, and she has a bit of loose skin, and doesn't feel too firm, quite soft actually. I'm feeding her tomorrow. I'm not sure what size feed at the moment, maybe a medium sized mouse? I'll upload some pictures soon. Will it be safe to feed her more often, like maybe twice a week or something to help bulk her up, so should i give her bigger meals.

Also the previous owners weren't giving her any help while shedding ( she had a small water bowl, but not really big enough for her to get in. and she wasn't getting misted etc) So while holding her today, i noticed on her underside, she has thick shed skin, and it looks a little sore. I have taken some pictures which i will upload soon. I've given her a bigger bowl, which she has only had her head and neck in. and i've also wet a tea towel which she has been using, but it hasn't helped much, so i'm buying some shed ease tomorrow which i will do her with before i feed her.

And advice you guys could give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

0.2.0 Normal Royal Python. Wendigo & Chepi
1.2.0 Dogs. Bedley,Nuna,Holly.
0.2.0 Hens. Orakiah & Astrid
1.2.0 Tortoises. Ishi, Pandora,Squirt.
0.2.0 Rats. Mouse, Flubba.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  17:44:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How much does she weigh?

Ideally, I would not handle a Royal Python that has moved homes until it has eaten at least once, preferably 2 or 3 times. Handling can stress them out further. I also would not try feeding until you have had it and left it alone for a week.

Royals do not need misting and most do not submerge in their water bowls, larger bowls will increase humidity though, which can be good for a bad shedder.

Would need to see pics for further comment

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  17:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she has retained shed on her a nice warm bath should help soften it and then let her run through a towel applying gentle pressure but what ever you do don't pick it off, it could be quite well attached and take new skin with it.

For bathing info: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3004

A picture would be good to rule out any other problems such as scale rot, which also results in a crispy underside.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  17:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, here is a feeding table, courtesy of Blackecho:

0-400g feed every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
8-1200g - every 10 days
1200g+ - every 14 days

Feed 10/15% of the snake's body weight.

A medium mouse usually weighs 20g approx, but different suppliers label prey differently - best to weigh prey first. Royals usually do better on rats but if your girl's on mice atm then better to let her settle in first (got 2 on mice myself got to change them overlol.)

They need at least 5 days to digest between meals.

I personally wouldn't spray or mist a snake - the damp teatowel is great, and putting her water bowl beneath her heat lamp will gently up her humidity. (Royals are far better kept with a guarded and statted infra red or ceramic bulb to supply heat; even a statted mat may be caused to overheat by the bulk of a royal.)

Looks like it's going to be a gradual process to remove all her stuck shed - unless it's eyecaps or tailtip don't worry too much; it will gradually shed out. You could try giving her a damp hide too, but don't overdo humidity. There's also a good bathing sticky on here but if she's new you may not want to stress her out by too much handling.

(Other more experienced people, have you any more tips?)

All the very best.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  18:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. The main reason why i held her today is because the viv was filthy, didn't look like it got cleaned since they had her, she seemed to really enjoy the handling though, she was sticking her tongue out a lot and seems quite happy n__n Some shedding is around her tail area, but the underside seems to be the worse. I'll try to weigh her soon to get her weight. I'll get the pics uploaded asap =)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  18:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just re-read this, Lotabob, Blackecho, didn't realise I'd overlapped with you both but we were all saying same thing basically.

Good luck with the snake Wendigo.

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  18:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just looking at your other posts you mentioned she was on a heat mat before with her previous owners. I am wondering, could this be a burn, or a burn scar on her underside? Pics will help once you upload them.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  18:57:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm worried about that too Louise, just have to wait for the pics.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  10:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, sorry for the delay in pictures.

Sorry for the bad quality, but mum took them lol.

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  10:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, oh dear!

I'm no expert but that looks like a nasty burn to me.

I don't know what to advise as it's not something I have dealt with but others will be more help.

Poor thing :(
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  12:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no! Would it be a good idea to take her to the vets, or use reptile wound cream on her?

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  13:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert by any means but that does look like a burn and quite a nasty one at that I think if it was me I'd be straight round to the vets, at the very least they can say it's not a burn and treat whatever it is, and very worse it is a burn and you've done the right thing seeking treatment, good luck keep us posted as to how it goes..

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agree with ReptileMadd , Get it seen to by a herp vet before it gets infected.

0.0.1 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  14:21:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, vets. You will probably be advised to use Tamodine.

Did you not check her over when you got her?

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  14:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  14:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will get her booked into the vets. I did handle her when i saw her but i stupidly didn't check her underside D= I would have still bought her anyway as i don't think they would have got her seen to =(

Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  14:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you had rehomed her not bought her?

I hope you didn't hand over too much money to the sick *bleeps* who sold an ill treated, burnt royal who has clearly not seen a vet. Scumbags should be paying you, not the other way around!

Sorry, not having a go at you, but that poor snake must have been in pain. Hope you can get her some treatment at the vets and thankfully she has a new loving owner to take care of her.
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm on my sisters account.

She has asked me to pop on and post how Much Wendigo Weighs as she is on her way to the vets with her now. (She left about 2 minutes ago)

Anyway, She weighs 460g

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:26:01  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Look forward to hearing what happens at the vets keep us all posted feel really bad for that poor thing.

0.0.1 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  18:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Got back from the vets about a hour ago. And our vet has had a look, and said it is a burn, he said it look quite deep. He didn't have a meds for her at the moment, but has told us to bathe her is salt water to keep it clean and reduce the chances of an infection. He has given us another appointment for thursday when he is on our estate (he is located in Llandudno Junction, but travels to Llandudno every thursday) He's an RSPCA vet, but he has treated our pets before, including our tortioses, and he is very good.

@louise32 - No i bought her. I paid £200 pound for her including her viv and accessories. =) I just hope for his sake i don't ever see him again.

Fingers crossed she'll get through this.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  18:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the very best.

Is the heat mat statted - or, better still, switch to a heat bulb (guarded and statted.) Sorry, more expense on top of everything else, but believe me, it's safer.

Yes, I too would have paid the £200 just to get her out of the clutches of those idiots - you've definitely done the right thing and good for you!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000