Scale Rot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  13:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as you can imagine, I really don't feel like writing about this, but it's possible that Surahi has scale rot.

I bought her at the end of Nov 10; I don't think her vendors had had her long. They were having to sell most of their snakes due to an enforced house move; they were experienced people; had done snake rescue, and Surahi was living in a rub rack, nice and clean and well-cared for.

The first thing I noticed on looking her over was a minute 'scar' or 'crozzle' on her belly; one scale was actually missing, but there was no inflammation, and I felt competent enough to take her on.

Needless to say I kept her on kitchen roll, and kept an eye on that belly, and was very pleased to see the scale regrow. So that might be nothing to do with the present problem.

I didn't over-handle her, due to her settling in period, which naturally at her age (cb06) and at that season, coincided with declining appetite and then the Big Fast. Nevertheless she's had a few 'armchair walkies' and sleeps round my neck, so I've kept an eye on her belly.

A couple of weeks back I noticed a rusty line an inch or two away from the regrown scale ... had she had a burn at some point in her history? It certainly didn't seem connected with the missing scale, and as I've now had her several months and know she's been kept in clean dry conditions (as she was before) the idea of scale rot didn't immediately spring to mind, and, with not handling her too much, the scar could be something I'd missed.

Yesterday I checked her and could see she was going into shed, her first with me. Today I had her out to look her over, and to check on that rusty line. Her belly is pale pink; she's clearly going into shed ... and the rusty line is very flaky ...

It could simply be her impending shed. It could be an old burn scar that is shedding out. It could also be scale rot.

Needless to say I've been in touch with a vet; there is a very good exotics vet in Leeds but it's two buses away from me; another local vet, Donaldsons, of whom I've also heard excellent reports, is in Mirfield/Huddersfield and closer to me, and although there is just one vet who is reptile qualified, other vets in this practice are willing to examine and give first aid to reptiles before passing them on, if needs be, to the reptile vet. If Surahi does have scale rot it means betadine, which can be prescribed straight away for her, hopefully.

I explained the situation and said that I thought it might be a good thing to wait until she'd shed, and reassess the situation; the vet I spoke to, Andrew, agreed with me.

So now we wait. I hope it's a false alarm ...

Oh boy, there is nothing like this for turning a (reasonably) confident owner into a gibbering wreck, full of guilt and feeling totally unworthy of owning so much as an earthworm, never mind a snake ...

She's very calm, she's eating again; today she lolloped out, tongue flicking and eager to explore. The vet was very helpful and I know, whatever happens, that she'll be fine.

I just hope that this thread doesn't end up being about scale rot.

Wish us luck, guys.

Edited by - n/a on 25/03/2011 14:52:57

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  13:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fingers crossed for you and i hope it sheds out too

touch wood i have never had any health probs with my snakes (must be doing something right) so i can't comment or scale rot or burns

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  13:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

fingers crossed for you and i hope it sheds out too

touch wood i have never had any health probs with my snakes (must be doing something right) so i can't comment or scale rot or burns

Thanks, Blackskull, yes, I've always thought, avoid heat mats, keep them clean and dry etc ... Just hope it's not some sort of infection ...Time will tell.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  14:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  17:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes good luck BaTs

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  18:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, BE and Reptilemadd.

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  18:58:14  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with this BATS keep us posted.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  19:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Scubadude, I will.

It's strange that I should have remembered about the homeopathic tincture of hypercal a couple of days ago with regard to Wendigo's post - this is marvellous for sores/infections. I'm going to order some just in case it does come in handy to supplement veterinary treatment if Surahi needs it. Hoping it won't come to that, but at least I'm getting everything organised if it does.

Edited by - n/a on 25/03/2011 20:04:07
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  21:16:48  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh bats what an awful worry. But from what you say if she is eating and full of her usual life then i suspect its not so sinister.
Good luck and so glad you have a good and trusted reptile vet in the area, even if it is a hike!

xxx

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  21:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sandi, yes, in fact she's been zooming about this evening, bright as a button, have in fact been wondering if i've caught the tail end of the shed cycle rather than the beginning as her eyes are bright again as opposed to the opaque of 24 hours ago and her skin's shiny, no longer dusty (and really by now I ought to know what a snake in shed looks like!) But there have been a couple of accounts just lately of unusual shedding cycles.

Been reading my Kevin McCurley ball python manual; he says that the pink tinge seen before shed can be similar to the first signs of scale rot...BUT...

He also says that by avoiding heat mats and keeping the snake warm and dry, scale rot 'will not happen.'

Well,before I got her she was living in a rub rack, and for the past 4 months she was first living in a rub for a short time, and then a viv with guarded heatbulb, and on kitchen paper and kept very clean...It's a puzzle. I do hope and pray that it's just an old scar (though not very good that she's got that) that is shedding out. It's difficult with not knowing her past history.

But if she has to go to the vet, well, there are 2 buses an hour, 2 minutes away, and though they are mainly a small animal practice, they sound really helpful and good - must add them to vet sticky.

...And as I write, Madam is still roaming ... Royals eh?

They may be a headache but they're never a bore ...

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  23:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck BATS. She's in good hands.

What you can be certain of is that whatever is going on is not down to anything that you have or haven't done, so you should sleep easy. If I was a snake I would be very happy to be in one of your vivs!

Hope your vet visit goes well. Do keep us posted.

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  08:32:06  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second that! Bats you are a good snake mum so I'm sure she will be good.

On the shedding front, they can take you by suprise cant they? Boris is in blue and i didnt even notice until i picked him up! no pre-signs, just bang, overnight, pink belly, blue eyes, and dusty all over! Its only about 6 weeks from his last shed too!

Hoping thats what surahi is about to do too.x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  11:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, thanks, Steve and Sandi for your kind comments.

Well, I left her still roaming and came down at 2am to see her; she'd wrecked her setup and gone to sleep, but I took a quick look at her. (Apologised to her; luckily she's a very placid girl.) It must have been the red light in the viv that made her look shiny, because close-up she was still distinctly dusty and semi-opaque as to eyes. But the mark on her belly ... perhaps it was the artificial light but it seemed far smoother and less 'crusty' than before.

It's an inch away from the old scale injury, closer than I'd thought, and about 2 inches long, and last night it looked far less obtrusive.

I've just checked her again this morning, and she's well blue! No mistake - and I don't know what all that cavorting about last night was in aid of - spring maybe!

So I didn't bring her out of her hide to check her belly; I'll leave her alone for a couple of days, apart from her water.

Got the vet travelling details all sussed out - coincidentally it's the same bus route that I took to fetch Mistletoe, so it won't be too unfamiliar.

Oh dear, I know I probably qualify for 'worrybucket of the year' award, but at least if it's a false alarm I've got a rep vet sorted ... and I'll have learned an awful lot about scale rot ...

Now keeping my fingers crossed for a nice shed ...

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  21:55:33  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phew! Thats a relief then.....worry bucket indeed but i can relate to that!
I'm so glad she caught you out but like you say, got a rep vet to boot so cool! I just registered our 2 with a local rep vet as well so i feel a bit more secure in the knowledge that if things go boobs up, I'm ready! If it wasnt for Boris having mites (nearly wrote knits then lol!) i may not have registered them so soon, something good from every negative....yin yang....!

Anyway, Glad its good news hun!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  22:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sandi - well, won't know for sure until she sheds.

It would be marvellous to find a shed skin with a scruffy scar on it and a lovely healed faint line on Surahi's belly, but if there's any doubt I'm still prepared to get her to the vet, if only for my own peace of mind; I would rather fuss than leave things to chance.

Interesting, whatever, and she's been out again tonight - ha, as I glance over at her viv, there she is again!

So, as she's out, had a quick look, and the 'scar' is definitely smoother, and there's no wetness or inflammation such as you'd expect with an infection; it's sort of desiccated, which makes me hope that it is an old scar shedding out. Fingers crossed!!

Time will tell, eh?

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  20:50:04  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed it will, keep us posted hun.#

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  21:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will - haven't looked at her today; don't want to stress her out, and she's been quiet. Will look inside her hide tomorrow to see if she's cleared; she's got a water bowl too small to soak in and make her belly wet, just in case, and I'll put it in her warm side as soon as her eyes clear, for the extra humidity, and then ... the shed

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  08:33:53  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boris's eyes cleared yesterday so maybe we will get a simultaneous shedding?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  10:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Surahi's still well in blue - have just peered into her hide for a moment.

Good old Boris, have the horrible mites scarpered now?

By the way, if you've been putting oil in his bath, his skin might look a bit puckered, sort of washday hands, just before his shed, and I'm afraid the shed itself might come to bits. Reptile Danny posted a pic about this happening with Bow just before she shed, after he'd been treating her for mites and using oil baths.

But, whatever happens, best wishes Boris for a mighty good, and mite-less shed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  01:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, half past midnight and longing for some kip ...

Surahi, you look pretty lively. I suppose you're shedding?

Surahi just gives me a look. She's shiny. Her previous owners told me that her colouring was very akin to a Mojave, and I see it now. Buttery. Blushing. Lovely girl. So, now for the shed eh?

She wanders round her viv. I notice the kitchen roll under the hide in the cool end looks pretty wrinkled ... 'scuse me, Surahi, must check. Wet! And inside the hide a flobbery wet mess ...naturally...including the shed!

Surahi! Let me look!

And that nasty crusty scar ... is smoothed out. There IS a scar, an indented line; it hasn't vanished. I think she HAS had a burn in the past. But I really don't think it's scale rot! I'll be ringing the vet in the morning, but I don't think he'll need to see her.

She's wrapped round my neck at present like one of those fashionable scarves. A bit smelly, but don't mind that. Got no choice, actually. Soon I'll persuade her to unwrap, I'll have another look at her, but I'm certain now that it was the shed and not scale rot.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  06:25:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000