Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  18:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would ditch the heat mat altogether, that belly is not fit to be the main point to be heated up. I would also switch to kitchen roll as a substrate, any woods will be abrasive so paper towel will be nice and soft. I'm not an expert on this but have researched the care of a burnt snake should I ever come accross a rescue in need of TLC.

Don't think of it as you were ripped off, think of it as you paid to rescue a snake that will give you years of joy and even though the cost to put right all these problems will be quite high it will be worth it in the end.

Keep us posted on her progress and if you ever catch up with the guy you sold her to you, give him a swift kick in the plums from me.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've put some soft fabric towels in with her, and she seems happy with it n_n. My sister has a spare stat somewhere in her room which she is finding out for me. We don't mind spending a lot on her, as at the end of the day we made the decision to have her, and she can't exactly help herself out =(.

Lol, and will do xD

0.2.0 Normal Royal Python. Wendigo & Chepi
1.2.0 Dogs. Bedley,Nuna,Holly.
0.2.0 Hens. Orakiah & Astrid
1.2.0 Tortoises. Ishi, Pandora,Squirt.
0.2.0 Rats. Mouse, Flubba.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  20:57:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your local rep shop should have some Tamodine and advice if the vet can't help.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  21:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks =)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  07:22:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Any further updates?

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Yearling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  09:02:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any news on how treatment is going for her ?

0.0.1 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  10:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that really is a mess isn't it? : (

Good on you for taking her though, and looking after her good : ) I agree that a bulb and guard for heating would be much better, the mat is only going to encourage the problem.

Fingers crossed she heals well soon.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  10:49:57  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope your snake will be good soon Wendigo :)
With those guys around you and the experience they have, you don't have to be worry about your snake.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  11:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys. I've been bathing her which she seems comfortable with, it still looks sore, but the salt water isn't to heal it really, its just to keep it clean and to prevent infection. The vet is seeing her again tomorrow to give her treatment. So hopefully it won't take her long to back on her hmmm feet? lol. that saying so doesn't work for feetless animals xD

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  13:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, it's years since I thought about this, but back in the 80s I knew a wonderful homeopathic vet; he wasn't local and I communicated with him by phone and letter and he was brilliant. At that time I had a cat who had to have surgery twice for stomach tumours ... both times it went septic, and then necrotic ...Needless to say I was up and down to the vet but in those days a vet relied on the owner most of the nursing, and Mr Barratt, the homeopath, sent me some tincture of hypercal. With the approval of the vet, I bathed the affected places and George (the cat) recovered.

I've just found a site called 'Positive Medicine' that sells this tincture for £9.50 (haven't sussed out postage yet.) It's recommended for burns and injuries of all kinds and apparently works well with deep injuries as it allows the deeper tissue to heal first without trapping infection. I'm going to order some just to have in my medicine cupboard - remembering George's quite horrific infection and the way it responded to this stuff, I think it's worth having, and of course it's safe for all animals and humans of all ages, so I'm posting to recommend it to anyone who might like to try an alternative antiseptic to augment veterinary or medical treatment.

Salt water is a good traditional home remedy, I've used a lot of that in my time too. (Usual Saturday night scenario, all vets closed, cat climbs on knee for a stroke ... what the hell's that lump? 'Been fighting again, Lil, got an abscess.' Animals eh?)

With all very best wishes for Wendigo to be back on her feet (love it lol) very soon!

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  18:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there how's it going and well done.I think it's safe to say that all of us on here are behind you and your snakes recovery keep us updated.D.
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Sorry for the lack of updates. We went to the vets on Thursday, he checked her and said it's looking a bit better. He said to carry on with the bathing in salt water, then apply Flamazine. He said it for humans, but the pet on is exactly the same. I'm to apply it to the burns once a day. It's looking a lot better now, it doesn't look as sore, and looks like it's starting to heal. I'm to take her back again this thursday to he can check up on her again. I tried to feed her on Friday with an extra large mouse ( the previous owners were feeding her on mice) but she didn't want to take it, i even brained it as well and she still want having it, i felt sick braining it, and don't ask me how but i managed to cut of part of the tongue D=.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  10:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, also another thing. She's recently come out of a shed, but it looks like she's going through another one. her color has gone dull and the black markings have a blue tint to it, her eyes have gone a bluey color too. Do you think it's her way of getting rid of the burn?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  11:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey, what did you use to brain the mouse? A sledgehammer lol?

I find it's easiest snipping the skull (only a tiny slit) with scissors when the rodent's part defrosted. It's only like cutting meat. Lotabob just sticks a sharp knife in through the mouth, says it's less messy.

Sometimes they just don't want to eat, especially at this time of the year - she'll start in her own sweet time.

Glad to hear the burn treatment is coming along well. Yes, according to my Kevin McCurley ball python book, snakes may shed more often when injured or diseased, certainly sounds like that's what she's doing.

All the very best.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  19:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah i had a hammer, screwdriver, and saw. lol, only joking. i did a sharp knife through the mouth. I hope she'll take food soon though as she feels like a bag of bones =(. Thanks =)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  20:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, oops, next time the sharp bit points upwards. I got it wrong the first time I brained a mouse fuzzy, I held the skull too tightly and as the knife went through I basically burst its head between my fingers. That was a low point in my life for sure. Spot took one look at this smashed in mouse and turned his nose up.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  20:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Bob, I tried your method today on a fuzzy for Cy, who is a very undersized one-eyed corn who only eats when she feels like it. Thought the brains oozing through the poor mousey's mouth might attract Cy, who hasn't eaten for a month.

No.

I lifted the fuzzy out and reverted to my old trick of decapitating the poor rodent with scissors (have tried every damn thing) and replaced it with Cy.

'There, you little sod, EAT!'

And she did. The body. Ass first.

Snakes, eh??

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  21:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to get a tiny guillotine. I tried to get my non eating corn to eat a brained rat pup today and he was having non of it. I have put it in with Duke on the off chance he fancies it, he won't come out while I'm watching TV though so will see what happens when I take the dog for a walk.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  22:52:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, well done.

As BATS says, the shed is likely to be coming on due to the burn and probably the cream.

Also very unsurprised that she won't eat while all this is going on, try not to worry, you're doing a great job.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks =) I feel so sorry for her, had a little cry this morning, she must have been in so much pain, and it wouldn't have taken him 5 mins to get her to the vets. She is such a lovely little thing, very calm, even while she's going through the shed & pain, she hasn't struck, hissed or bit once. She has such a lovely nature. One thing i've noticed the past two times while bathing her, after a few mins in the water she opens her mouth for a second or two like she's yawning. Can they yawn or is it her way of trying to stretch the shed off her face? ( Her eyes are proper white now) I've been spraying shed ease over the top of her each time she comes out of her viv as by the looks of it, she hasn't been sheding very well, and a tube of shed came off her tail this morning.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page