The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Success!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 19/07/2011 : 10:29:15
I have no idea why this never occured to me weeks before now...

So last night was feeding night and it was Tig's last rat in the feezer. And I had the idea that maybe braining it might encorage him a bit... Wow! People don't kid when they say the smell of brains is irisitable, do they? 0_0
He actaully hissed mid strike 'cause he was so excited! Bless 'im : 3

It was quite fiddly to do. I mean I've hacked up a fair few chicken and rabbit carcasses in the past, but trying to cut the top of a rats head off... well, I won't be becoming a sugeon any time soon! But I did it and it worked : )

It was smaller than what he should be on now, but that doesn't matter, does it?

A stupid question though. If he's... programed, I suppose, to fast now is it a danger to encourage him to feed? I mean, it won't hurt him to be eating anything when he (maybe) should be fasting? If he doesn't want to eat then that's fair enough, I suppose, but I was planning to brain his rats a few feeds running, see if I can't get him going again. This won't do any harm if he does deside he wants to eat again?

I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of this before now... maybe he would have been OK with eating still if I'd thought of it sooner : /
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 20/07/2011 : 11:03:37
I just went through the ear hole, but it was still a fiddle to do. It wasn't messy though, not really. Might try other ways though, see which is easier.

Never thought of just cutting the back of the neck...

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't matter that it was a smaller one. I'll buy some more of that size on Monday.

One down...
n/a Posted - 19/07/2011 : 15:08:53
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

haha, yeah it has a right effect on them. I just stab them with a knife I use for gutting fish, in through the roof of the mouth for a neat and tidy job, lol.

You're not a Patricia Cornwell fan by any chance are you?...
Lotabob Posted - 19/07/2011 : 12:37:08
haha, yeah it has a right effect on them. I just stab them with a knife I use for gutting fish, in through the roof of the mouth for a neat and tidy job, lol.
n/a Posted - 19/07/2011 : 11:34:50
Congrats!

Yeah, braining can be messy. I find the best way is to do it when the rat's semi-frozen, take a pair of small scissors and snip a little slit in the rat's skull.

I have one snake (Cy) who HATES brains, but she always has to have her mouse cut open at the back of its neck - won't eat it unless I do that ...strange snake ...

It's a good idea to restart them on a smaller size - for some reason I believe they're more apt to accept a smaller rat. I wouldn't worry about him being 'programmed' - if he'll eat, that's great! Really good news!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000