New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  10:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea why this never occured to me weeks before now...

So last night was feeding night and it was Tig's last rat in the feezer. And I had the idea that maybe braining it might encorage him a bit... Wow! People don't kid when they say the smell of brains is irisitable, do they? 0_0
He actaully hissed mid strike 'cause he was so excited! Bless 'im : 3

It was quite fiddly to do. I mean I've hacked up a fair few chicken and rabbit carcasses in the past, but trying to cut the top of a rats head off... well, I won't be becoming a sugeon any time soon! But I did it and it worked : )

It was smaller than what he should be on now, but that doesn't matter, does it?

A stupid question though. If he's... programed, I suppose, to fast now is it a danger to encourage him to feed? I mean, it won't hurt him to be eating anything when he (maybe) should be fasting? If he doesn't want to eat then that's fair enough, I suppose, but I was planning to brain his rats a few feeds running, see if I can't get him going again. This won't do any harm if he does deside he wants to eat again?

I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of this before now... maybe he would have been OK with eating still if I'd thought of it sooner : /

Just me and my zoo.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  11:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Yeah, braining can be messy. I find the best way is to do it when the rat's semi-frozen, take a pair of small scissors and snip a little slit in the rat's skull.

I have one snake (Cy) who HATES brains, but she always has to have her mouse cut open at the back of its neck - won't eat it unless I do that ...strange snake ...

It's a good idea to restart them on a smaller size - for some reason I believe they're more apt to accept a smaller rat. I wouldn't worry about him being 'programmed' - if he'll eat, that's great! Really good news!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  12:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, yeah it has a right effect on them. I just stab them with a knife I use for gutting fish, in through the roof of the mouth for a neat and tidy job, lol.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  15:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

haha, yeah it has a right effect on them. I just stab them with a knife I use for gutting fish, in through the roof of the mouth for a neat and tidy job, lol.

You're not a Patricia Cornwell fan by any chance are you?...

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  11:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through the ear hole, but it was still a fiddle to do. It wasn't messy though, not really. Might try other ways though, see which is easier.

Never thought of just cutting the back of the neck...

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't matter that it was a smaller one. I'll buy some more of that size on Monday.

One down...

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000