Small lump????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  21:48:41  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys just noticed today that my lil baby george has got a small lump on the side of his neck. its probably too small to photograph.

does anyone know what this could be and if its something to worry about?

i only noticed because he was periscoping to my face otherwise i probably wouldnt have seen it.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  21:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Bigdon, sorry to hear. Can you feel the lump and suss out where it is? Worst case scenario is a spinal kink - which many snakes have, and which needn't impair their feeding/quality of life. It's not a good idea to breed from them in case it's genetic (though this isn't always the case.)

However, sometimes, 'lumps' may appear simply as a result of muscle bunching as the snake moves along.

Do hope it isn't anything much - and hopefully there will be someone more experienced than me along soon. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  22:12:12  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you look at my sig, look at the alien head on the very left, and just under the left eye (so to speak) is where it is

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  22:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you actually feel a hard lump there? If so, then it probably is a bony lump/kink - though in a pet snake this isn't a disaster.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  22:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at pictures of Duke periscoping and their 'neck' isn't very long, was George on the ground, it may have just been where the body widens for lungs etc spreading over the ground or if picked up maybe contracted muscles. Could you feel the lump or is it only visible.

Not very clear but see how just after the bit thats lifted there is a bit more 'neck' then he does get thicker,

Edited by - Lotabob on 23/07/2011 22:25:41
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  23:37:44  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, he was in my hands periscoping to my face thats how i spotted it, it is soft not hard, I suppose it could just be a fat lump, it didnt seem to hurt him when I touched it.

I also give him a good inspection and im pretty sure its not mites under the scales either.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  00:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd not worry, just keep an eye on it, he may have slightly caught himself on something, if it getting any bigger or becomes hardened then its worth while seeing a vet. It will more than likely disappear though.

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  03:13:58  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated. im sure it will be fine and il keep my eye on it.

it could be new or it could have been there since birth.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page