The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 inbreeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 12/07/2011 : 17:25:22
I'm sure i've asked this before but I can't remember, is it okay to breed brother and sister snakes together? I recall being told that you can breed them upto 5 generations?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/07/2011 : 20:42:11
Try googling 'Mickey's Nightmare - birth defects' - this catalogues defects caused by dud temps as well as genetic problems.

Don't mean to be alarmist but I'm a bit disturbed about what isn't known, or maybe deliberately ignored, when it comes to breeding the 'perfect' animal - of whatever species. Kevin McCurley admits that he's made a lot of mistakes and good on him, but I've known many breeders (again of other animals, not just reps) sweep these problems under the carpet ...
reptiledanny Posted - 12/07/2011 : 20:02:21
the super cinny has it, basically where the snout is deformed and looks like a ducks bill, type it in on google images, there are a few photos on there, where the snout almost looks like it has been pinched
Kelfezond Posted - 12/07/2011 : 19:53:09
I'm not familiar with a duckbill?
reptiledanny Posted - 12/07/2011 : 19:32:44
alot of breeders do it, like for example trying to get the albino pied, breeding albino x pied, then keeping a male and females hatchling back and growing them on, and then breeding them.
you just have to be careful with certain morphs like cinny as they can get the duckbill and kinking
Evolution Morphs Posted - 12/07/2011 : 18:15:13
Breeders do it it's called

Line breeding

Holding back the pick of the bunch and breed it back to there mother/farther
To enhance there colours / trait

What effects it does I don't know
jhk2005 Posted - 12/07/2011 : 18:01:56
i'm not sure tbh kelf, i've heard that it's only normally done to prove out new morphs (using a parent and one of the babies)? I know snakes genes work differently to ours, but I should think it runs the same risks of inbreeding depression if two siblings breed together. My guess is that two littermates together might cause noticeable problems a lot sooner than 5 generations but I may be wrong ; it would be useful to speak with a long-term breeder to see exactly what the effects are.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000