The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Breeding
 please help needed!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
2706gemmalou Posted - 15/07/2012 : 17:23:49
hi i'm new to this forum, but i thought it would be a good place to start. I have a 17 year old RP which was thought to be a male. two years ago i did a breeding program with him and another snake which we thought was a female. this was part of my animal management course. There wasn't any signs of mating etc. this is the only time that he has been introduced to another snake they were together for about for months. but today i have come home and he or she as it maybe is curled around 8 eggs?? as you can imagine im so confused, she shown no signs of being gravid, been eating drinking as normal, didn't seam to become larger etc. the eggs are all different sizes which isnt normal is it? 3/4 of them are quite large white and leathery the others are smaller with a cream sort of colour. i dont know this could be possible will the hatchlings be dead? please someone help me for the sake and health of my much loved pet :-) thank u.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 29/07/2012 : 09:58:42
Yeah I can testify to that. My first experience with babies was when my newly bought Boa Constrictor turned out to be pregnant, woke up one morning to find 34 babies wriggling in her tank and suddenly had to find a place to house them all! Luckily I had a spare vivarium and they all fit quite nicely into cricket boxes temperarily!
jonoandapril Posted - 29/07/2012 : 09:35:18
holy moley, never knew they could do that! like boomslang says, should always prep to keep all the babys, even if thats not the plan. stage one of my breeding prep was to build my rack so i had room for a full viable clutch (as unlikely as that was). cant get over a royal being gravid for 2 years! thats incredable!
boomslang Posted - 17/07/2012 : 01:36:48
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie

Wow they can actually hold off for a few years! Thats interesting. Do people just put the eggs in the freezer if they dont want them to develope? And what would you do if you had hatchlings you couldnt rehome, anybody any ideas. Im not having that problem but I am considering breeding this year and I dont want to end up not being able to rehome them.

I guess that should be something you should plan for whatever you breed.More so if you breed something thats very very common.

Space for unsold babies,or sell to pet shops for super low prices.
Cookie Posted - 16/07/2012 : 23:46:27
Wow they can actually hold off for a few years! Thats interesting. Do people just put the eggs in the freezer if they dont want them to develope? And what would you do if you had hatchlings you couldnt rehome, anybody any ideas. Im not having that problem but I am considering breeding this year and I dont want to end up not being able to rehome them.
Baobab Posted - 16/07/2012 : 22:14:01
Should have been obvious he was a she when there was no burping after a feed and she wasn't scratching her butt
hodgie Posted - 16/07/2012 : 21:02:10
quote:
Originally posted by 2706gemmalou

but today i have come home and he or she as it maybe is curled around 8 eggs??

Sounds like he must be a she. Sounds like you have some good eggs and some slugs.
Kelfezond Posted - 15/07/2012 : 17:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

2 years ago it was with a male? I would say these eggs are all infertile due to the time frame but with them been large white and leathery they sound fertile, the yellow ones are slugs those will be infertile.

It's worth candling them anyway straight off the bate, wouldn't judge them as infertile straight away I had a few this year that looked very dodgey but survived.
Lotabob Posted - 15/07/2012 : 17:51:00
See Kelf arrived as I was typing LOL.
Lotabob Posted - 15/07/2012 : 17:50:23
2 years ago it was with a male? I would say these eggs are all infertile due to the time frame but with them been large white and leathery they sound fertile, the yellow ones are slugs those will be infertile. If they are been curled around by the snake they will be kept warm. If you previously had a breeding program then dig out the incubator and get it up and running again, give them a few days and then candle the eggs for any blood vessel development. I'm not clued in with eggs or the max time for sperm retention, so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along soon. If you can post a picture of the eggs it might help them to determine if they are viable.

(If you dont want the eggs or any potential hatchlings then you can just stick the whole lot in the freezer for 24 hours to be sure nothing is developing).
Kelfezond Posted - 15/07/2012 : 17:44:45
Hello There. I think for this you may need a more rapid communication system than the forum offers, if you can email me at Kelfezond@hotmail.co.uk I'll be more than happy to go through things with you quickly.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000