The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Morphs
 Confused

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 25/04/2011 : 21:42:07
I thought I was understanding morphs now but something has just struck me like an iron bar to the face...

I was under the impression that Co-doms result in supers when bred together, as my my mojave when bred to another mojave will give me a super mojave..

I was also under the impression that Dominant, unlike recessive and like co-dom is passed on with each clutch so you don't get hets you just get another morph (or chance of anyway) and I was also under the impression unlike co-doms dominants do not make Supers.

So when I searched for an Ivory and was told it was a co-dominant I was surprised on the basis that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a super ivory.

So is the website wrong and it should be Dominant or am I wrong in assuming that all co-doms have supers?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 16/06/2011 : 19:44:59
Codom, sorry hahaha
Royalbob Posted - 16/06/2011 : 19:35:58
Blackecho Posted - 16/06/2011 : 19:13:04
A condom??

It is a homozygous Co-Dom though.
Kelfezond Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:50:27
Jhk that was the website that confused me in the first place listing the ivory as a condom hehe it's a very useful website though
Royalbob Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:47:39
cheers BE. I was questioning everything i had learnt for a sec. Still learning but at least i know somethings sinking in.
jhk2005 Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:44:39
If it helps, look for a site "worldofballpythons.com", it has a list of almost 900 morphs, what gene-type they are and even a wizard that will work out the odds per egg of a particular pair of royals together :)
Blackecho Posted - 16/06/2011 : 17:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

the website if wrong, an ivory is a super form of a yb, so is a dominant morph. sometimes yellowbellies are refered to as het ivories, but a het is something that does not have a marker, like a yb has the yellow sides, so makes it a co-dom morph, whereas a het pied does not really have any markers taht prove it is a het pied, so is classed as recessive

Close, you are right that Ivory is 'Super YB', although I personally prefer the term Homozygous. However, it is still a Co-Dominant gene, it does not change to Dominant.

Also, 'Het' is just short for Heterozygous which means different, i.e. the gene pair has different genes on it. Dependant on the gene type (recessive, co-dom or dom) it may be visible or not.

This Sticky may clarify: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187

Good luck
Royalbob Posted - 15/06/2011 : 16:01:26
MMMM!
I was under the immpession that an Ivory was just homozygous for the co dominant gene of the yellowbelly. Dominant gened snakes have no visual difference in appearance whether they are heterozygous or homozygous. Such as the spider or pin. There is clearly a difference between a het Ivory (aka) yellowbelly and an ivory.
reptilemadd Posted - 26/04/2011 : 17:21:08
Scales and Tails have both male and female YB's in so if you want that Ivory (which is the super form of a yb as danny said) but don't want to pay Ivory prices:) get in there quick lol
Kelfezond Posted - 25/04/2011 : 22:30:19
Danny to the rescue! Thank you Captain Genetics :D
reptiledanny Posted - 25/04/2011 : 22:18:39
the website if wrong, an ivory is a super form of a yb, so is a dominant morph. sometimes yellowbellies are refered to as het ivories, but a het is something that does not have a marker, like a yb has the yellow sides, so makes it a co-dom morph, whereas a het pied does not really have any markers taht prove it is a het pied, so is classed as recessive

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000