New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:35:07  Show Profile
hi, i currently have a male royal, he is staying with my other half at the moment in an rub. i have bought Kiros (thats his name) off my o/h although he is not at my house as of yet.

well i wanted to know what would be better.... i have bought a glass terranium (i think that wat they are called lol) with a 13watt heat matt, i am still to get a stat and digital thermometer but i wanted to know if i should have the heatmat on the inside or the outside of the terranium. i have read that if its on the outside it can cause pressure on the glass and break it. Kiros is bout 7 months old, hes quite big for his age and i want to use aspen for a substrate. if i use this would it be better to have the heatmat on the inside?

please help me because i am getting all the extra bits very soon and really want him at mine by the end of the week....
thank you

Aimee

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  06:32:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have used them underneath the glass before and not had one crack.

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  10:04:17  Show Profile
ok, im not too sure if i should use a substrate now cos that would mean removing him to feed and i dont want to stress him out. i will probs put it underneath.

if it goes underneath will i have to tape it to the bottom or can i use a tea towel so it pushes it up against the bottom? which would be better? did you use substrate in urs when you had it underneath?

My Pets:
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  10:08:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message

This is how I have housed hatchling Royals.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  11:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've used heat mats under glass too and not had cracks either. No need to tape it really. The weight of the viv would stop it from moving. I would probably put something underneath it though so there's no risk of it overheating the surface below.

Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  14:57:15  Show Profile
well the thing itself is raised, so i would need to have the mat raised off the surface, i could do this by placing a towel under the mat? this would stop the surface getting too hot also.

im soo ecxited to have him at mine, am getting a stat tomorrow hopfully and thermometers so will set it up then leave it for a few days to get the temps right and away we go lol

My Pets:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000