New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  21:19:05  Show Profile
Hi there guys. I got my first Royal yesterday. In fact my first ever snake. She`s quite young about 18 inch`s long.
Question is - how do i know that the viv is warm enough as im struggling to see a temp over 75.
The viv is 2ft by 1 ft, the pet shop sold my heating mat, with habistat, a hide, wood chippings ( how deep should these be), water bowl and thermometer, plastic plant and a lock.
She seems quite contented spending the day underneath and on top of here hide and is very inqisitive. I`ve seen her go to her water bowl twice today so i assume she is warm enough but i want to be sure.
The ventilation hole at the back of the viv is about 2 inches in diameter, is it wise to make this smaller?
Thanks for now Mike.

Royals owned "lots"

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  21:22:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How are you measuring the temp?

If its a dial thermometer they aren't very accurate.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  21:28:07  Show Profile
Its like a pen size thermo that you stick on the glass.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:02:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You need to measure the temperature where the snake will be (on the substrate), a digital thermometer is best, you can pick them up from ebay for a couple of pounds.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:08:01  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
where have you put the heatmat? how thick is the substrate over it? are you setting the temps to what the thermostat reads or the thermometer?
ideally purchase or make a second hide for her asap so there's one in the warm end and one in the cool end so she can thermoregulate and still feel safe

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:28:11  Show Profile
Heatmat is on the base of the viv.
Substrate 3/4 - 1 inch thick.
Thermostat set at 85 thermometer reads 72.
I`ll get another hide tomorrow. Meantime i`ve made another from a small cardboard box is that ok?

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah the box is fine as long as there's no sticky tape or staples for snakey to hurt itself, some of mine have cardboard boxes, ice cream tubs, plant pots....... no need to spend a fortune on branded stuff

try thinning out your substrate over the heatmat, just a light covering as thin as you can. basically ignore what the dial on the stat is telling you temperature-wise, just go by what the thermometer reads. ideally the thermometer and the thermostat probe should be resting on the substrate over the heatmat for an accurate temperature where the snake is.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  22:46:02  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply, will do that now.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  06:21:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Something like this would suit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Marine-Water-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ150337946771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item150337946771&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  18:44:12  Show Profile
Thanks for the help. She`s been moving to both warm and cool side of her Viv, seems happier in the small cardboard box

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  20:24:04  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd leave it in for her then at least till she poops on it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000