First Handle?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  21:58:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Hi guys, I picked up a three year old royal on Tuesday. I have named her Lilith.
Anyway I will have had her a week tomorrow, so I am going to try and give her a feed. She is going into a shed though so I won't be too concerned if she doesn't eat this week.
If all goes well with the feed, and she has been left for more than 48 hours, I was going to try and handle her.
I wondered if you could offer some advice. I was thinking its best to let her come out to me.
I have left some bits of my used socks in her viv, so she gets to know my scent. Poor lily they probably stink

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:01:57  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I would wait until she has shed now,they are very edgey during this time but once its over i would dive straight in and pick it up,dont show any hesitation,just let it know your coming in.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:17:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Ok I was thinking it may be better to wait till after. Her eyes look like they are silver, but I haven't seen any real evidence yet, they told me when I brought her she looks like shes about to shed. Will it all of a sudden happen? It should be a week or two longer till its complete shouldn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:35:59  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
their eyes go cloudy/opaque then clear again, and they usually shed within about a week of their eyes clearing. might be a good idea to put a damp hide in for her if you haven't already. i usually wake up to shed skins - the snakes all seem to shed over night with no problems (except the OAP cornsnake).
with handling try changing the water first, that way she'll be awake and know you're around rather than waking her up with a start!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:49:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
Thanks, I was confused as I looked at her about 2 hours ago and her eyes look clear. I will try and put a little damp hide in tomorrow before I attempt to feed her. I have heard people use lunch boxes and cut holes in. I wont be able to get any moss though, as it a real hassel to get to the exotics shop. I may be able to buy online.
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  23:00:16  Show Profile
Hi Sash i was really confused when Drazen was coming up to his first shed with me as his eyes where blue-ish, then all of a sudden they went clear. I thought he had stopped for some reason, but i put a moss hide in there just in case, the next day i opened the moss hide to see if he'd pooped in there and i found an entire shed, rolled up probably like one of your old socks! I was really surprised. As for moss i piked up mine cheap from B&Q I placed it in a lunch box with a hole cut in the lid-perfect

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 27/04/2009 23:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  23:06:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
B&Q thats handy. Its much easier to get to. Its sphagnum moss right, or do they call it a different name at B&Q lol?

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  23:14:54  Show Profile
Yep sphagnum moss, it's used for hanging baskets so have a look near them. I think its around £4 a bag.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  12:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's a lot cheaper to get it from a garden centre rather than a pet/rep shop!! and any plastic container will do as long as it's appropriately sized, margerine tub........ ice cream tub......... as long as it's clean

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  15:27:23  Show Profile
thers a post here that BE put up about moss

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown