Mite prevention
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  13:49:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I just wondered whether U guys used anything in the viv to prevent the little bleeders known as mites .
I have insured my snake with Exotics direct, but I would rather prevent her getting ill in the first place. I no good hygiene is a must, but wondered if there was anything else I could do to prevent them.

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  13:55:44  Show Profile
Well substrate or other snakes coming into contact with you or your snakes are normally the culprit..

If your using Orchid bark, bake it.

Not sure on Aspen as i dont use it..i think you can freeze it.

I use kitchen roll so that if there is anything moving in there other than my snake i can see it,...

if you use moss always make sure you soak it in boiling water first before using it.

just keep an eye on them to..especially if they go off food, or shed funny, yeah i know royals do these things for other reasons to, but it is still something to look for.

Maybe also keep some ardap and olive oil in just in case so your prepared if you should ever have a problem...

Thats all i can say, others will add to it to;-)

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  14:02:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address

Bake my orchid bark? that sound scary lol.
How common are mites with royals?
If she ever got mites I would take her to the vets. Especially the first time I would want to make sure her treatment was dead on.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  14:12:02  Show Profile
you want to bake it at around 170 for an hour and put it in tin foil or something or you will burn the top of it..

i dont use orchid bark, but others do, i think aspen is the safest substrate, especially if it gets ingested...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 01/05/2009 14:12:16
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  14:52:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
if you dont mind me asking what sort of price was your insurance?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  19:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I think a lot of mites come in on new arrivals too so quarantining for 2-3 months is always a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:21:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

if you dont mind me asking what sort of price was your insurance?

It was £106 for 12 months, but I think I paid more than most for my snake (£130), but I don't mind. It covers up for up to £1000 in vet fees, the worth of the pet if dies or is stolen. Theres £35 excess to pay for each new claim etc.
The less U paid for the snake the cheaper the insurance should be. But it will mean U get the same amount back if they die.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000