temperature help!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muckybear
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:51:36  Show Profile
hi can anyone help please i have just set up my viv with a heat lamp as my source of heat but i can't get my temperature any higher than 79 degrees.should i use a second heat bulb or use a heat mat. my viv is 2ftx1ftx2ft.

what don`t kill ya can only make you stronger

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:54:40  Show Profile
How warm is the cool side and the room, is there any way of raising the room temp? Is the viv raised or on the floor?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:55:16  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
where are you measuring the temperature and what sort of thermometer are you using?
the thermometer or thermometer probe should be next to the warm hide (near where your snake will actually be) and if you're using a dial thermometer i'd recommend binning it and getting a digi one
how long have you had the viv set up? the bulb might need longer to heat the viv properly, or have you tried turning the thermostat up rather than setting it by the dial?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:58:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

heya and welcome
where are you measuring the temperature and what sort of thermometer are you using?
the thermometer or thermometer probe should be next to the warm hide (near where your snake will actually be) and if you're using a dial thermometer i'd recommend binning it and getting a digi one
how long have you had the viv set up? the bulb might need longer to heat the viv properly, or have you tried turning the thermostat up rather than setting it by the dial?

Look at that charm and profesionalism

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:00:09  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

Look at that charm and profesionalism

bless your cottons i like helping nice people

Go to Top of Page

muckybear
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:08:16  Show Profile
thanks for the tips my viv is on the floor the sensor for the thermostat is turned up to 90 and still only kicks out 79 its a 100w bulb and i`ve got central heating on low he is not trying to get on the bulb or anything but don`t like the idea of the temperature being on the lower side of there average so to speak thanks again for all your help it`s much appriecated

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
if you dont have a gaurd on your bulb i would recommend getting one asap,have you a pic of your set up?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:36:30  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i would have thought a 100w bulb should be enough for a 2ft viv, but looking at the dimensions you quoted, it's 2ft long but is it 2ft high or 2ft deep?
if it's 2ft high and the bulb is mounted on the ceiling that could be the problem, the heat source is too far away from where it's trying to heat! you can get angled bulb holders designed to be mounted on the side of the viv and so lower down, nearer to the area they're supposed to be heating. you can get angled bulb guards too as they're essential to prevent your snake burning itself.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  21:48:27  Show Profile
also how many vents have you got?

what type of bulb are you using?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

muckybear
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:06:10  Show Profile
yes its 2ft high and the bulb is on the ceiling i have 2 vents at the bottom and 3 at the top its just a standard 100w blue reflector bulb the pet shop said it would be ok. think i need to mount the bulb on the side with an angled holder and raise it off the ground a little

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:17:24  Show Profile
Where are you measuring the temps and what are you using?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:27:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by muckybear

yes its 2ft high and the bulb is on the ceiling i have 2 vents at the bottom and 3 at the top its just a standard 100w blue reflector bulb the pet shop said it would be ok. think i need to mount the bulb on the side with an angled holder and raise it off the ground a little

If you have five vents then that is probably why your temps are lower

I would cover two of them from the outside with some cardboard or something, are they big vents?

I am not up on reflector bulbs, but Daz is online...

i would be putting in an infrared heat bulb..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

muckybear
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:30:38  Show Profile
i`m using a strip thermometer at the bottom of the viv and my sensor is just over half way into the hot end the top is hot but the bottom is only 77-79 going to try an angled bulb lower in the viv

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:36:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by muckybear

i`m using a strip thermometer at the bottom of the viv and my sensor is just over half way into the hot end the top is hot but the bottom is only 77-79 going to try an angled bulb lower in the viv

if you close off some of those vents your temps will rise, you probably wont need an angled bulb...

I have a corn on a heat bulb in a viv and her temps are fine and that bulb is only 60 watts i think, her viv is 30 inches long by 18 high

once you have your digital thermometer you will be better placed to check the temps properly.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:46:35  Show Profile
quote:
`m using a strip thermometer at the bottom of the viv and my sensor is just over half way into the hot end the top is hot but the bottom is only 77-79 going to try an angled bulb lower in the viv

Dont think the strip thermometers are so good it might not be so bad when you get a digital reading.There are really cheap on ebay

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:53:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

quote:
`m using a strip thermometer at the bottom of the viv and my sensor is just over half way into the hot end the top is hot but the bottom is only 77-79 going to try an angled bulb lower in the viv

Dont think the strip thermometers are so good it might not be so bad when you get a digital reading.There are really cheap on ebay

yes, i would wait till the digi is in place, what feels cool/warm to your hand is not the same for a snake...as i was once told..

the digital thermometer will be a better guide for the temps..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000