New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  13:19:46  Show Profile
Hi all. have almost completed set up of vivarium only delivery i am waiting for is my heat lamp guard.

will try and attach pic's any advice, comments, observations are welcome and needed. Once viv is complete and I am happy with temp and humidity parameters I will start looking for the perfect baby royal to be our latest family member. At the minute I have a 60w reflector lamp running. 85.9f at warm end and 77.5f at cool end and 92f in basking area under lamp.Would prefer cool end to be a few degrees warmer so might try infra lamp or refitting lamp head a few inches over towards centre. humidity 50%

lamp only switched on for first time when pic taken so please ignore temp readings

warm hide and placement of thermometer probe and stat probe.

combination lock to keep kids out and wife happy.

dimming stat set at 88f to stop basking area exceeding 95f

cool hide and water dish.

vents screwed on and sealed with aquatic silicone.happy wife!

wiring holes are sealed at rear with aquatic silicone.

P.S if this post is taking up to much space please delete as you see fit.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

Edited by - spor on 05/05/2009 13:33:23

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  13:43:45  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Looks ok to me,maybe change the bulb to infrared or a ceramic as you dont need light in there plus you would have to switch the light off at night and then you would have no heat source,you can leave i/r on 24hrs a day.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  16:38:36  Show Profile
looks good to me...

i have some of those 1/2 log hides. Tried using them with my little royal and it didnt really work cos of how they sleep coiled up plus there size, they end up kind of balanced on top of them...swapped it for ET hides now.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  17:48:24  Show Profile
Looking good! ET hides are good as you can clean them easier aswell. One thing i would say is make sure that the lid is completely secure and he cant push it up anywhere. It is really unlikely but just double check, you'll be surprised. I should call mine houdini!

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  19:59:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
looks very good but i'd be inclined to put something in the gap in the middle - foliage, a rock, kitchen roll tube..........
and turn the E-T hide round 90* (hole facing the middle of the viv) so he has some privacy, same with the log hide (they are a b*gger to clean but look nice!)
and agree with the heat/light issue mentioned by lee, ceramic /i.r would definitely be better

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  20:00:36  Show Profile
Nice, but I'm with Lee, with a lamp like that you're gunna have to turn it off at night and it seems you haven't got an alternative heat source, so just swap it out for a IR one or ceramic (baring in mind you'll need a porcelain fixture for the ceramic) then you can leave it on 24/7.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  20:51:36  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Will turn hide round for privacy. And will be getting infra red lamp for heat source. was really just working with reflector at the min to work out prime position for lamp fitting to get best heat distribution and work out wattage needed.. I do have a few more bits and pieces to for middle area. but most of reading i have done suggests keeping bare minimum until snake has had a chance to settle? what are your thoughts on that.

I repositions my lamp fitting and have a gradient of 86f to 80.5f so happier with that. should not change to much with infra red source.

Lid very secure. there are actually to combination lock one on either side of the lid with just enough movement to get locks out.

Looking forward to getting its occupant and letting the last few months preparation pay of.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page