Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lewy
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
10260 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage
Been doing some research for the COttage cookbook website i've been working on ( http://www.cottagecookbook.co.uk ) and stumbled upon this:

http://www.beastfeaster.co.uk/2008/04/how-to-cook-python-fangers-and-mash.html

I agree with foraging for free food but this takes the biscuit, not impressed! but thought I would share anyhow.

Lewy

THE ROYAL PYTHON.co.uk Team

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:14:52  Show Profile
That is disgusting...

I know in some countries they do eat snakes...

I have posted a comment, but i bet it does not get approved...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:15:18  Show Profile
If it was offered to me I would eat it. I wouldnt buy it though.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:18:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

If it was offered to me I would eat it. I wouldnt buy it though.

would you eat it if you knew what it was?

i dont eat meat anymore, gone back to being a veggie again...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:23:42  Show Profile
Yep. Its dead and on a plate, why waste it?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:25:38  Show Profile
Really?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:27:54  Show Profile
Yep. Its just meat. If there were more native snakes and we were able to mass produce (farm) them, I bet people would be eating them. It just so happens that chickens filled that space up.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I agree with Matty on this one.

How is eating Python any different from eating Cow, Pig, Chicken, etc? I've eaten Kangeroo a few years ago and Skippy tasted bloody lovely. Sorry guys but as a dedicated carnivore my first thought wasn't "Oh no! How could they" but "OOOOO!. I wonder what that tastes like".

Sorry if you don't approve guys but there it is. My only concerns would be 1) Was it given the best life it could have before it was slaughtered? and 2) Was is slaughtered as humanely as possible? Other than that "Get it on my plate. I wanna taste it"

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  17:59:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

I agree with Matty on this one.

How is eating Python any different from eating Cow, Pig, Chicken, etc? I've eaten Kangeroo a few years ago and Skippy tasted bloody lovely. Sorry guys but as a dedicated carnivore my first thought wasn't "Oh no! How could they" but "OOOOO!. I wonder what that tastes like".

Sorry if you don't approve guys but there it is. My only concerns would be 1) Was it given the best life it could have before it was slaughtered? and 2) Was is slaughtered as humanely as possible? Other than that "Get it on my plate. I wanna taste it"

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:06:49  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Unlike most meat-eaters I'm not a hypocrite (excuse the spelling)because I would quite happily slaughter the animal that was going to end up on my plate.

We have canine teeth and incisors in our mouths as well as molars. If we didn't have canines and incisors then I would agree with the veggies but we are built to eat meat too.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:08:06  Show Profile
quote:

Unlike most meat-eaters I'm not a hypocrite (excuse the spelling)because I would quite happily slaughter the animal that was going to end up on my plate.

Agreed

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:12:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

Agreed

agree with the first but about hypocrites, but i could NEVER kill an animal and then eat it.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:40:49  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
It depends on whether you can differentiate between pets, food and wildlife. I can't remember if I posted it on here or not but before Godzilla came to live with us we looked into keeping Hens in our back garden. They would have been pets with a purpose, i.e. yummy free-range organic eggs. Some eggs would have been eaten and some would have been hatched to maintain the flock. Any cocks that hatched would have been loved to bits until they were big enough for the table. The same would have applied to hens that stopped laying. They all would have had a wonderful life as pets, better sadly than most farm birds, but they also taste nice and would have served a purpose. I suppose that it's just a case of how you view animals. If I know something is for the table then I will ensure that it has the best life I can give it but will block any attachment that I would normally form with a pet.

Not too sure if that makes sense or not

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:59:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Complete sense.

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
10260 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  19:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage
I do agree with both paul and matty - I didn't post this to say it was wrong. It was more the blasé way it just says on the package "python meat" - There are too many questions I would have to ask before eating this.
What kind of python is it? for a start - could be any number of endangered pythons like the Asian Rock Python for example. not that it's likely - but labelled as just python meat, who knows?

like paul says how it was killed?

is it from a sustainable source?

If I knew the answers to these questions and they were an agreeable answer I would eat it also.

The way I found the link was by looking for recipes for grey squirrels for the cottage cookbook, So I'm not a veggie or anything. I'm a bit of a foodie and would love to try the same quest that is on that blog - but I would have to make a concious decision if any of the animals in question we remotely endangered or under threat in any way. Maybe the fella has done the research and not posted it, It would be good to see what steps were made to decide what animals to eat.

I know through my brother who is a marine biologist that loads of shark species are in decline. I would love to try shark meat but wouldn't do so unless the animal became sustainable - Their life cycles and their breeding cycle length make this an unrealistic and probably costly way to produce food.

I believe also that if you're going to eat something, every part of that animal should be used (whether for food, clothing, shelter etc) and treated with the respect it deserves, even after it's death, right down to the bones.

I'll be reading the blog further tomorrow as more foodie research. Hopefully there will be more information about what research if any has been done first, and the bloke who's blog it is didn't just say... hmmm I think I'll try a zebra burger!

Lewy

THE ROYAL PYTHON.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  19:28:23  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Heston 'mad chef bloke whose surname I can never spell' tried Zebra on one of his programs. Quite chewy aparently.
Have you tried the Springbok burger in a Walkabout bar yet Lewy? I know Springbok is supposed to be a bit gamey but Jeeeeez it was minging

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  19:39:45  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
Personally i couldn't eat it, same as i couldn't eat my dog or kids.
Many people eat dogs and people, doesn't mean everybody should consider it though. There are limits.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  19:53:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AddicksGlenn

Personally i couldn't eat it, same as i couldn't eat my dog or kids.
Many people eat dogs and people, doesn't mean everybody should consider it though. There are limits.

I agree and could not eat a squirrel either...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  20:01:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Squirrel tastes good!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  20:02:08  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

I agree and could not eat a squirrel either...

Why not. They were eaten in this country in our not too distant past. So were Hedgehogs.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Were? - They are!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000