lights, guards & stats..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  18:44:36  Show Profile
righto, i've had this 1.5foot viv for my royal off a mate. it came with a light already fitted inside but no guard, he said as it didn't get THAT warm he'd never used a guard with it but he did have a dimmer stat.

i have the bulb he used here and if i decided to use it, would i have to buy a dimmer stat for it, or could i just use it with a guard to stop the snake from getting too close to it.

i won't be using the bulb for heat, just to see into the viv in the day as it's quite dark inside there during the day as the lights not shining directly into it.

the lead for the light does have a little on/off switch so when i'm not using it i could just turn it off.

here's a couple of pics of my viv with one of those blue led strips for use in the evening. it looks brighter in the photo than it really is, plus it does have a voltage switch to change the brightness...

ps - is my viv setup okay for the royal?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  19:11:04  Show Profile
A royal wont want the light, but if you really want one you would be better off getting an engery saving bulb. They emit little heat, but they are quite bright. Personaly I would just not use one though.

The set up looks fine.

Go to Top of Page

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  19:30:07  Show Profile
it is cool to use the blue light in the evening to see inside though yeah? maybe i won't bother with the light in the day time though. the bulb i have here gives off little heat, that's why my mate didn't bother with a stat or anything. just wondered what you all thought.
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  08:57:59  Show Profile
Hi,

The blue light should be fine depending on how bright it is. Royals don't like a lot of light at night, so ideally you want just enough light to see him / her by.

The only time I'd use a bulb without a stat is an energy saving one and they still get quite hot if you touch the bulb while it's on, so I'd guard it anyway. As Matty said, if you're not using it for heating it's probably best not to bother.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  09:02:36  Show Profile
looks a good little set up...

i would take the lamp holder out though...

Go to Top of Page

theonlydarrenever
Yearling

153 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  09:28:22  Show Profile
yeah i probably will, i just have no idea how he's stuck the little bugger in lol. i can't see any screws :\
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  15:55:36  Show Profile
i think with that kind you twist and unscrew the base...screws will be underneath...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000