The next trick?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  16:12:36  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
So to all those with fussy a*ssed royals that wont eat, whats the next trick your going to try?

Mine is the 15 minute drive in the car trick, hopefully tomorrow night with an offer of food at the weekend.

Has anyone had success with this and how long after the drive did you offer the food?

Ant x

Ant.

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  17:14:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
do you feed in the viv?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  18:16:04  Show Profile
what have you tried Ant?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  18:47:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would offer the food an hour or so after the drive.

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  21:43:51  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
I feed in the RUB, dangled infront of him so he strikes.

Ive tried braining, leaving it in over night, really hot, no handling for over a week .. erm i think thats about it!

Im skipping to the car trick as he struck really well ten days after i got him and nothing has changed since that could/ would/ should put him off.

He is out tonight so i may not have to, will get a rat at lunch tomorrow as i work just down the road from a Heathrow reptile shop (Ally from the dark side works there)

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  21:48:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by antw23uk

I feed in the RUB, dangled infront of him so he strikes.

Ive tried braining, leaving it in over night, really hot, no handling for over a week .. erm i think thats about it!

Im skipping to the car trick as he struck really well ten days after i got him and nothing has changed since that could/ would/ should put him off.

He is out tonight so i may not have to, will get a rat at lunch tomorrow as i work just down the road from a Heathrow reptile shop (Ally from the dark side works there)

good luck

maybe just stretching out his feeds will work, then he will be hungry...it worked for my corn Nia, now i have got her down to five day feeds...i know she is a corn, but she was very very shy...and at one point would not take a fuzzie unless she had a pinkie first...she is making up lost ground now

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  21:48:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i would try feeding in the viv,just put a piece of paper down to feed him on.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  10:58:50  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Yeah so not interested in that Lee, lol

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  11:01:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by antw23uk

Yeah so not interested in that Lee, lol

Hi Ant

what do you normally feed him?

have you tried a small mouse?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  12:23:30  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
You just reminded me .. im sitting here eating my lunch bored and i need to drive down to the shop to pick up a rat ... well im thinking something a little smaller this time!

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  14:06:01  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Right i brought a small rat yesterday with good intentions to take the snake for a drive and then offer the food. due to other commitments i dhad forgotten about i didnt get round to the driving bit.

Warmed it up and tried to wiggle it infront of him, left his hide in this time too (i feed in his RUB which he is housed in)

Nothing .... so left it in over night .... nothing
I know they go for months without eating and i know i shouldnt be worrying but i am so frustrated. He was brought as 'an excellent feeder' every 10-12 days and he fed 10 days after i got him but since then he hasnt really been interested in eating.
When i first fed him the tongs slipped and i took the fur off the side of the rat and when he got a whiff he struck ... so fine, i thought, i will get my head round braining coz it must have been the smell that stimulated him.

I've gone over every detail of his first feed and i've tried to replicate it .. apart from skinning half the rat, i thought braining would be enough ....but nothing.

Shall i leave him ten or so days and try again meaning he hasnt eaten for over a month or do i try the drive round the block trick and offer an hour later this weekend or even tonight?

Im getting down about this now and wondering if its me and im not cut out to keep snakes so your advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Ant.

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  17:54:27  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
HOLD ON LADIES AND GENTS .... blue eyes this evening so panic over

Will post back my worries after he has shed and still hasnt eaten, lol

Ant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000