Humidity & feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  19:19:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
My snake finished shedding last thursday, no problems there, it came off in one nice, big piece. I tried to feed her 2 days later (saturday) and she didn't eat it(I left in in the viv for 24hrs, in darkness, undisturbed). I think this may be because of the shed, it probably takes them time to get back to normal. I have had her 3 weeks and she hasn't eaten yet but I'm not surprised because of her shed. (She is just over 3 years old)

Anyway to the real deal. The last 2, 3 days the humidity in her tank has really fallen low. When I checked it this morning it was just under 30%I have put some moss in a little lunch box with no lid on to try and boost it. I have been spraying the orchid bark well and have covered the top 2 vents up at the back. The humidity has gone up to around 40% now. She has been sat in her water bowl all dayso she must be feeling it.
My mum says it could be the weather as the wind drys everything out. Where I live it is very windy, has been since the humidity dropped. I wondered if anyone else was having a problem and had any suggestions.
I am hoping that the humidity will increase over time as its only been a few hours. I also want to try and feed her tomorrow as she has the vets monday for a health check.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:13:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would leave 5 days at least between attempts or you might stress her out. At 3 years old they can easily go months between feeds, so don't worry.

How are you measuring the humidity, dial or digital?

Too much humidity is far worse for Royals than too little btw.

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:43:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
I'm not too worried about feeding, as I no they can go a while. Also the vet will let me no if she needs any help.
I just wondered what is the best method for feeding, what works with most royals. I remove her from the viv and put her into a RUB, brain the food and use a hair dryer to warm it. Is that an effective method?

I have a dial gauge, but I am getting a digital one with a probe tomorrow morning. One of those exo terra ones.
I imagine that a few days of low humidity will be ok, just not long term. Also does anyone have tips on how to lower it, if the humidity goes too high. I imagine 70% or more humidity would be really bad for them. This country is never constant with the weather lol.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:54:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The dial ones are as good as useless, I'm sure your humidity will be higher.

I feed all of mine in their viv so as not to disturb them and warm with a hair-drier like you.

Go to Top of Page

Sash
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  21:24:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sash's MSN Messenger address
If my feeding attempts fails this time I may try and feed her in the viv. Thanks very much.

The dial ones really are useless, I got a digital probe thermometer last week. That has really shown me how useless they are lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000