off topic, but common boa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  15:09:56  Show Profile
Hi, my flate mate has a common boa and for like the last two months the viv hasnt had any form of heat to it! i try to tell him that it needs a source of heat but he is convinced that the clay pipe that it hides in keaps it warm enough. he has a large heat mat which isnt on, which tbh is probably a good thing as it is just under the substrate in the viv, with no thermostat.

was just wondering if anyone new what this would do to the snake? it sometimes eats, but i dont think it eats as much as it should do, and it seems to have become more aggresive, it bit him a few months back for the first time ever, and sometimes if you walk past it, it will strike at the glass.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  15:35:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Reptiles are cold-blooded, so don't generate their own heat as mammals do. So being in a clay pot will not help.

It will need heat or it will probably start developing respiratory diseases, but worse if it is still trying to eat as the food is very unlikely to be digested and may rot in the gut, causing death by septicemia.

If he is willingly doing this, knowing its wrong, its animal abuse.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  15:54:49  Show Profile
thankyou for the reply i will show him what you put, and hopefully he will change it, if not then he is knowingly putting it in danger, so i will report it to the rspca and hopefully they will make him do it.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  16:22:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
tell him to wake up and smell the coffee.Get a stat and get that mat switched on asap

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 12/05/2009 16:22:59
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  16:40:36  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
if he doesn't wanna look after his snake, give me an address and I will come and rehome it.

Don't own animals if you have no knowledge of their habitat requirements/care.

The reason the snake will be aggresive is that it is in the wrong conditions, keep a human at 4 degrees without a coat and it gets annoyed ;)

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  08:42:15  Show Profile
In addition to what the other guys have said, wouldn't a boa be better off with infra-red / ceramic rather than a mat? Although a mat is definitely better than nothing, the eejit.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  09:05:10  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
correct, heavy bodied snakes require heat from above more than below.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  09:17:51  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
cant see him going out and buying lamps if he cant switch on a mat he's already got,like you said chris a mat is definatly better than no heat.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000