Page: of 3

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  08:33:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

Having measured the temperatures last night with the digital thermometer it seemed the cold end of the tank was too hot. I've had my stupid night storgae heater blasting heat into my small room day and night for the week since I got the snake. Last night because it was too hot for ME and the snake I turned it off.

BIG MISTAKE!

Temperature on heat mat under hot hide 32 degrees

In the middle it was 24!

Cold end 22!

And guess where he was lying. Cold end, very still. Worried I picked him up and he felt cool and didn't care that I was putting my hand in the tank or touching him
He was extremely active when the heater for room is on. I just don't think the heat-mat is enough for his tank. I'M REALLY UPSET and think i'm going to have to take him back because I can't seem to get it right. I real;ly can't have the heater on full blast in my room all summer.

how did you measure the cool end?

if you moved the probe to it how long did you leave it for?

it is not easy to get a temp gradient with a heatmat, but you can cover more of the ground area with it if it helps, just dont do anymore than half the tank...and if you do this check the temps, and was the temp a night time temp?

the other thing is, if he needs warmth he will seek it out,

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  08:56:07  Show Profile
I wouldn't worry too much if he feels cool to the touch, human body temp is 37c so anything less than that is going to feel cool and he would move to the warm end if he was chilly. Mats don't really heat up the air in the tank, so the cool end is only really going to be at room temp. If the cool end isn't warm enough you may be better off with a heat bulb as they warm the air, although if you're using a tub I don't know how you'd fit one. The care sheet on here suggests 24c for the cool end, I don't think a 2c variance is going to upset him too much.

You won't have to take him back, one of the members on here had a royal that was in quite a bad way because the setup was wrong, and with some help she got him sorted out and now he's flourishing. Don't give up, I'm still new to this myself but there are plenty of experienced keepers on here who will help you.

It's also worth bearing in mind that royals are lazy beasts, once they've explored their surroundings they sometimes don't move around much. Mine has barely been out of her cave for over a week and it's just because she's happy in there.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:29:23  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the support, feeling stressed about this.

I'm pleased to hear that he will seek out the heat if he needs it. He's been up and about this morning but has settled half in the cold hide and half out. That was how I found him this morning. Is that strange, half in half out? I only put that hide in last night. He seems to be ignoring the hot hide where he has spent all week.

Still can't decide if I should put that nasty old big night storage heater on. Maybe he doesn't need it that hot if he is lying in cold end? surely he'd move ?

I could buy a smaller heater frtom argos and use that when room temperature drops of a night.

Once again, thanks
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:43:40  Show Profile
i really wouldn't be so stressed :) i am the one chris mentioned up there.
i wouldn't waste money on buying a heater from argos, or turning the storage heater on (they are expensive and really dry out the air)
i would suggest the digital thermometer, and maybe get a viv (sorry i cant remember what size your royal is lol) then invest in the heat bulb+guard and an apropriate stat for it. you'll need to get it eventually anyway really as mats aren't too good for them when they are adults. it's definately a lot easier to control the temps imo :)

oo oo and where are you? i you are reeeaalllly stressed and live near to one of us, i am sure someone can pop over and talk you through it.... maybe steal a cup of tea.....
*secretly praying you live near me* LOL

Edited by - MissCat on 29/05/2009 10:46:44
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:47:24  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
He is only about 9 inches long. What size vivarium would I need?

Could I control the cool end with the heat mat and the hot end with ceramic bulb then?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:51:28  Show Profile
oo he's tiny! (unless of course you are measuring in man inches lol)
hmmmm a viv might be too big, the length + width should equal approx the snakes length. i guess you could get a tiny viv... maybe partition it off if needs be, and fill it up with lots and lots of things.
with a ceramic you *generally* dont need a mat for the cool end though.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:56:59  Show Profile
you know the reason he may have been so active before was because he was to warm.
Now that his temps are better he will feel better.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  10:59:39  Show Profile
that's another fair point ;)
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:01:31  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Rang reptile shop and this is their advice;

He'll be fine, the heat meat will be heating up the snake and substrate and as long as the thermostat is set to about 31 he'll be ok. They suggested I could remove the cold hide if i'm concerned he is spending too much time in there. They don't usually use cold hides as a rule but I know a few people have said it is essential. Before I put the cold hide in he was very active and now i've put it in he isn't.

Another option would be to purchase the 3ft adult viv and put the plastic tank inside it under cermamic heater to get ambient temperatures but I dont have that kind of money at moment.

They also said not to put my night storage heater on or buy from argos. No need.

Thanks thanks thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:03:58  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
that is a fair point, he could've been so active because he was too warm. Never thought of that. It did seem a restless kind of active. Trying to get out and constantly moving.
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Don't like the look of him lying half under the hide and half not. Strange creature. Its big enough for him to fit in. I swear i've know new mothers worry less than me.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:11:20  Show Profile
Ra does it too, dont panic :D
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
I'm up North in Durham MissCat
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:18:22  Show Profile
quote:

I'm up North in Durham MissCat

gutted, that's a bit far for a cuppa and an oogle at a baby snakey :(
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  11:54:31  Show Profile
Princess sometimes lies half out of her hide too, it's nothing to worry about. I'd leave both hides in, he'll choose which one he wants to be in. If you're worried about him being at the cool end too much you could try swapping the hides over, sometimes they pick a favourite even if they look identical to us. I think it's likely though that he's happy enough where he is.

I can understand the worry, so far I've been through: OMG she's not had a poo in weeks! OMG she's not eating! and OMG not all her skin came off when she shed! Nine times out of ten we're worrying and the snake's fine, and people on here are always happy to help.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  12:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have left cool hide in. Feeling loads better now because he has moved around a bit and settled quickly under hot hide. It does seem as if he is lying where he is happiest. Now just need to get him feeding. He has had 3 rat pups at pet shop and they gave me two more and a fuzzy mouse. Refused one rat pup on monday but that was probably because he wasn't settled yet. Should I try another rat pup or fuzzy? hmmmm decisions decisions.

Kettles alsways on Misscat.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  12:44:31  Show Profile
if you have not tried him since monday then try him again this Monday...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  13:18:05  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Yeah that was my plan, leave it a week.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  13:19:23  Show Profile
quote:

Yeah that was my plan, leave it a week.

Keep us posted, leave him now till the feed..and i am sure he will be fine...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:00:08  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address
Just to let you know I think he has had his first meal in his new home. I say think because the rat pup appears to have disappeared, unless he has decided to bury it or hide it :-)

I tried dangling in front of his hide while he was in. He became really excited tasting the air with his tongue and crept out of hide, however as soon as he saw I was at the other end of the pup he shot back in. Hee hee. So funny. So I left it on the floor and tweny minutes later it was gone. He's sitting looking proud of himself.

Thanks again everyone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000