Force feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spedz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:53:41  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Hey guys..

I posted a while back about getting my hatchling to eat, and to this date he's only had one live feed.
I really didn't want to have to turn to force feeding, but I can't seem to get any live rat pups in my area - I've tried ringing up various shops to ask if they knew where I could get any; and the general consensus they said was to turn to force.

Would it be best to go to my local rep shop and ask them to do it?
I'm asking here in the hope of being told the right way - In case the shop try to jam a pen down his throat :S

So, if anyone could email me.. Or add me on msn?
As for obvious reasons, I wouldn't want explanations over the forum in case someone tries to do it and does it completely wrong. (Hence I'd prefer to go and ask the pet shop to do it)

Cheers

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:57:14  Show Profile
did he take the live feed...?

Where abouts are you...? someone may know of a source of live food for you. Also some guys on here even have breed there own and may be able to help you out...

Edited by - dazb on 01/06/2009 19:57:44
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  19:57:31  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Okay, after talking to someone - She's told me that what I thought force feeding was, is assisted feeding.
I was planning on asking the shop to do it in case I got it completely wrong - But have also been told its alright for me to do it myself?

Dazb, he did take the live.. And I'm in south east kent.
I've asked on the dark-side, and nowhere there either.
Danny gave me the last one (Much appreciated) but obviously they've all grown up since and doesn't have any left..

Edited by - Spedz on 01/06/2009 19:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  20:06:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't advise force feedind unless being supervised, in fact I'd rather buy a pair of adult rats and live feed.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:22:54  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i've got a little DUmerils that only ate 4 times last year with his previous owner. i've changed his set up and got it pretty much spot-on but still he wouldn't eat. i tried assist feeding and tried force feeding and IMO it's an absolutely horrible thing to go through. fortunately he took a gerbil a few weeks ago but hasn't eaten since. instead of going down the force feed route again i'm going live.
dazb could you email me your contacts please hun

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:29:14  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
If it took live then keep trying defrost in between live feeds. Have you looked on preloved? Like BE said, get yourself a mummy and daddy rat. Won't take long to get baby rats.

IMO (and I know that my opinion will be controversial) force feeding and assist feeding are only a very, very last resort once all other options have been exhausted. It could result in you losing your snake's trust and cause it to start fearing you rather than accepting you as no threat.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:58:20  Show Profile
I would personaly try a light attempt at assist feeding, but only if you feel able to and if the royal is loosing weight. I would then go on to live.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  22:29:21  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Yeah - I'm looking at trying a light attempt at assist feeding tomorrow; will not go far if he doesn't want anything to do with it.
If there's still no luck, I may have to look into breeding the rats myself.

Thanks for your replies guys.. I will attempt a little tomorrow, and re-port tomorrow if anything changes.
He has been losing weight, and is noticeably thinner.. So this is genuinely a last resort.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  22:37:12  Show Profile
I wish I was close to you guys! I feel so helpless when I got a bin of baby rats here!

I definitely would go live before assist feeding but, what can you do if you can't find a live rat... manoman.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  06:52:08  Show Profile
DONT do the assist feed Spedz, persevere with live and defrost..

Kazzie is the result of six months of assist feeding and she is a scared little girl...

sadly i am not Dr Doolittle and she cant talk, but i wish she could...

tip for you, in between the livefeeds when your offering defrost,

do not touch the defrost at all..

i noticed yesterday that what when i offered Kaz a defrost she was fine till she got up close to it and i thought i was going to have a successful feed..it was close

i am sure she can smell the difference because the live never had my scent on it, the defrost did..so next time i wont be touching the defrost at all...will let you know if it works...as it is just a thought.

i know it is depressing, but its something you have to learn to live with which is easier said than done.

i am also going to have to work on getting her confidence with me in the hope she will learn that i am not going to hurt her or stuff anything down her throat..

LIVE is the way to go, it just might take a little longer than one feed, also try offering 2 live pups instead of one.

dont do assist it stresses the snake right out.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  18:15:50  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
Just to balance this out, Stig was assist fed 9 times before he took without, and to date hasn't missed one feed. If done correctly it's not too stressful IMHO

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  18:18:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Just to balance this out, Stig was assist fed 9 times before he took without, and to date hasn't missed one feed. If done correctly it's not too stressful IMHO

I agree.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

I agree.

An admin on a differant rep site that is a breeder in kent has offered to show me how it's done.. So should I take him up on this offer?
I wouldn't mind to go live, but it's the availibilty that is the issue :/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  19:07:48  Show Profile
Depends, does the snake look interested in the food offered at all?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  20:27:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Assist is ok in my opinion, I've had to do it before and as above, done correctly should be ok. I wouldn't force feed unless it was life or death personally.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  23:36:23  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Spedz

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

I agree.

An admin on a differant rep site that is a breeder in kent has offered to show me how it's done.. So should I take him up on this offer?
I wouldn't mind to go live, but it's the availibilty that is the issue :/

I would. I have never had to force, merely teach the snake what food is, and how to eat it ;)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000