Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mogsy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  11:57:53  Show Profile
Hi
I've just got a new gadget for measuring temp and humidity Lucky Reptile Thermo-Hygrometer Deluxe PRO, it has a sensor that measures both and then a seperate sensor that measures just temp.
I would very much appritiate some advice on where inside the viv to place these sensors i.e. hight from the bottom and positions in the tank.
Also could you tell me what sort of temp and humidity ranges you guys keep your viv at, as there are so many different ranges on the web and in books.

Thanks for all your help
Mogsy

TIBERIUS
04/07/09

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  15:17:24  Show Profile
If its got 2 probes (sensors) i would put the humidity one in the centre of the viv on the back wall half way up, and the temp one either on top or under the warm hide depending on how your heating it.

Go to Top of Page

Mogsy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  09:02:56  Show Profile
Thanks for that, i've done what you said.
I have a heat map under 2/3 of my viv with a heat lamp if required to keep temp up. The Temp is between 27-32C at the hot end and between 24-27C at the cool end, the humidity is between 33-60%.
How are my numbers?
Any advice would be much appritiated.

Mogsy

TIBERIUS
04/07/09
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  09:12:03  Show Profile
Hopefully this wont come accross as me being picky lol...
Does your heat lamp have a guard?
does the heatmat and lamp have thermostats attatched to them?
personally if you have the heat lamp i would soley use that and give up with the heat mat, that's my personal preference though, i know a lot of people successfully use mats (myself included) but generally i find lamps (especially ceramic ones- which is what i use, i have never used any different ones so can't comment on the red ones etc) heat more effectively.
you have temps about right, though i would try to keep the hot end between 30-32*c
humidity sounds okay, generally it should be the same humidity as our room, but when they go into shed you might want to up it slightly by either misting the viv once or twice a day (? i dont do that so correct me if i'm wrong) or by using a damp moss hide.
hope that didn't sound as rectally challanged as i think it might LOL.
now we need pictures of your royal... please ^_^ *dribble*
Go to Top of Page

keinplan
Hatchling

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  20:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see keinplan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

and the temp one either on top or under the warm hide depending on how your heating it.

What u mean by how your heating? I have a mat and I have my probe under the hide/aspen! Is that right for the UTH?

First Snake ever! :)
0.0.1. Zahara - Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:25:59  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by keinplan

quote:
Originally posted by dazb

and the temp one either on top or under the warm hide depending on how your heating it.

What u mean by how your heating?

which method of heating you use determines where is best to put the probe.
for mats put the probe inside the warm hide on the substrate.
for bulbs put the probe outside the warm hide

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000