Defrosting and size
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  20:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Hi all,
Obran is a bit of a fussy eater and he seems to prefer smaller rats, like 8-10 week old rats as opposed to a small/ medium rat which would be far more his body width (as they recommend for the size of prey)

He gets fed roughly every 10-12 days depending on his mood and this evening he has taken it well so my questions are ....

1) how do i increase his prey size, it seems to scare him if i go to a bigger size!
2) how long will a smaller rat take to defrost if i got one out of the fridge now, put it in a pastic bag and submerge in hot water?

Im going to try and offer him a 2nd one this evening purely because i dont think he is getting enough food!

Your comments, advice and help will be much appreciated.

Ant.

Ant.

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  21:48:01  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Dont worry ... i got the rat wet in the bag and like he has done before ... NOTHING. He doesnt like them wet and the hairdryer just doesnt cut it

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  13:57:48  Show Profile
have you tried him on the next size up? sometimes you can have a dig through the frozen and find ones slightly bigger.

You would be surprised what a royal can take...

be careful offering 2 at once, if it is to much he will regurge it...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  19:59:07  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you can't force them into taking a bigger prey item than they want to. i'd settle for a regular smaller meal and every now and again try something bigger.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000