New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  20:47:55  Show Profile
just got a hatchling royal can any one help with getting temps up all so what should night temps be.at the moment shes in a small plastic tank inside my 2ft viv which is plastic type with glass doors i have 15x11 ins heat mat fixed on the back also a small 60watt bulb.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  21:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Put the viv 1/3 over the heatmat and check the temps with a thermometer, don't trust the stat.

Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  22:09:22  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Hi and welcome Fred.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  13:42:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i agree with BE, place the tub ON TOP of the mat, I never know why people are told to put heatmats on the viv wall?? don't trust dial type thermometers, they lie like stats do!! i'd also lose the bulb as Royals are nocturnal and don't need light, or UV either.
aim for around 85*F in the warm hide

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  16:49:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I go for 90F myself.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  17:19:56  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
90-95F with Sherman. Lamp(not UV) during the day and heat mat at night. Night time temp 75-80F.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  21:27:33  Show Profile
i got 32*c (89*f) day and night. how do you set different temps for day and nite?

i run a heat mat and a small lamp for viewing for a few hours at night and temp stays constant, as it should with a stat.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

i got 32*c (89*f) day and night. how do you set different temps for day and nite?

i run a heat mat and a small lamp for viewing for a few hours at night and temp stays constant, as it should with a stat.

I've got the heat lamp on a stat at one end and the mat at the other. Lamp on during the day and mat at night. Digital thermometers in each hide and then it's just a case of fiddling around with the positioning of the hide overlapping the mat to get the night temperature just right. Half overlapping the mat seems to give just the right temperature. Just means that the hot and cold ends swap around between night and day but Sherman doesn't seem bothered by it.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 27/10/2008 09:34:49
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  10:06:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Just means that the hot and cold ends swap around between night and day but Sherman doesn't seem bothered by it.

It gives him more to do

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  17:13:24  Show Profile
very interesting way of doing it...

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  17:33:46  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Just means that the hot and cold ends swap around between night and day but Sherman doesn't seem bothered by it.

It gives him more to do

Well he can't spend all his time studying for his PhD in Cosmology. He needs a break occaisionally!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000