Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  17:02:41  Show Profile
Any Idea's?

My python has not fed for 4 weeks now. We have owned him for 7 weeks (although he is 12 months old)and he has only fed twice. He has shed 2.5 weeks ago but not fed since. We warm the mouse up and cut its brain, cover his viv so he is in darkness (I saw this on the sticky advice sheet and he fed this way for the first time after failing the first few weeks). He has also gone really quiet. The first few weeks after we got him he would be up and about his viv at night and we would take him out every now and then. Now he just seems to stay in his hide. Any idea's?

Many thanks
Sherrie

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  17:43:19  Show Profile
HI

was his shed complete? did you see the eyecaps on his skin when he had shed?

some royals do stay hidden, and are only out and about at night..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  19:24:03  Show Profile
We looked for the eye caps on his shed but could not see them. We did check him over after his shed and his eyes do look ok. He had a bit on his tail that I removed.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  19:59:20  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
there is a good chance if you couldn't see the eye caps in the shed that he has retained them. This means he "could" still have VERY poor vision, and the discomfort of them staying on.

Ages ago I used a rubberised thumb (used for counting lots of money/letters/paperwork) to remove them, got the idea from snakebytes on youtube, worked a treat

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  20:14:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Or a steady hand with a damp cotton bud.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  23:19:03  Show Profile
if you put him to window light it is normally more visible..it often looks like a very thin film over his eye, as Karl says in normal room light you likely wont see it..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  14:58:31  Show Profile
Thanks very much for your help. I have just had him out side to check his eyes and could not see anything, we have rubbed over his eyes with a damp cotton bud but nothing seems to have come off.

I've just took some pictures to upload to see what you think. Ill post them below.

Thanks again
Sherrie
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How much does he weigh and is he losing weight?

Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  15:25:33  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  16:33:15  Show Profile
We dont know how much he weighs cos we have no scales. He's definitely bigger than when we got him though.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  16:56:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Then don't worry about the eating, especially a 1 year old male just coming out of his first breeding season.

Get some digital scales if you can though, they are about £10 on ebay.

Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  17:11:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, i'll get some scales this week and weigh him. And i'll try an feed him again tonight.
Go to Top of Page

sherrielouise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:16:10  Show Profile
Just thought I'd let you know, i tried to feed him out of the viv an worked first time so we're made up. Thanks for your help. :-)
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  02:34:29  Show Profile
CONGRATULATIONS!

I love hearing this kind of news.

By the way, a royal that is not overly active is a content royal. When they're overly active, it could mean they are looking for food, can't find a good spot to thermoregulate, can't find a spot that is secure, or just plain stressed out.

My royals stay in either of his hides all day long and most of the night. They only come out to move to the other hide or take a drink. Sometimes, they even shed inside the hide and poop inside the hide. When I handle them, I put them curled up on my belly under my shirt and they just stay there and not move until they get tired of being held or get too warm, then they start moving away and that's when I put them back in the the viv. I got the laziest of all snakes, I bet!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: