New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  17:32:28  Show Profile
Hi, took Drazen out for a hold today and noticed that both his eyes are dimpled i know that this is probably down to low humidity, the dial is saying 40%. What should i do? should i spray the viv a couple of times a day? and will they recover or will they stay like it until the next shed?

I have a moss box and a water bowl in there but i never see him using either, i kept having to put him in the moss box lat week when he was shedding but he kept getting out again.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  17:45:01  Show Profile
That's my problem with moss boxes. It definitely is a great addition to a viv but, I don't think it is a substitute for a good overall humidity setting. The reason being, in my own humble opinion, is that the snake has now to choose between temperature, humidity, and security. And there is a big chance that they will sacrifice humidity for temperature and security. This is the same reason why I always suggest at least 2 hides in the viv - one at the cool end and one at the hot end. This is so that the snake will not have to choose between temperature and security. Because, it is a big chance that the snake will choose security over temperature.

If you got all 3 factors in one hide, then they will always have the best conditions in their hide of preference.

I have a glass tank, so my humidity tricks may not work for you. One thing that will work for both a glass and a wooden/plastic viv is the use of a substrate with better moisture retention. Aspen is not the best at doing this. Twice-milled Cypress is better. So, using cypress for the meantime might help you out. A ceramic heat emitter sucks humidity right out. So, if there's a way you can temporarily use non-ceramic heat that would help as well. Suggestions are heat pads or radiant heat panels.

If all else fails, a cheap room humidifier should do the trick.

Hope I can be of better help.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  17:53:33  Show Profile
Thanks anatess, i'm currently using newspaper substrate as he recently had mites they are well gone now though so mabye it will be slightly better if i put the subsrate back in, it'll have to be aspen for now though as a have a great bloody big bag full! It must be an improvement on newspaper but i will look into changing to Cypress though.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  17:58:56  Show Profile
dimpled eyes could be a sign of retained eye caps...has he shed recently...? did you check to see if they had come off...?

Edited by - dazb on 08/06/2009 17:59:18
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  18:01:41  Show Profile
yeh he did shed last week, but i always check and it was complete with eye caps intact.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:37:43  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
My Montiiee had this recently.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1309

I bathed him for 20 minutes in water that was 32 degrees, took both of his normal hides out and replaced with 2 moss hides.
His eyes returned to normal after the bath, he has since shed and i haven't noticed anything since.
Therefor i am still not sure whether it was retained eyecaps or de-hydration, though i still believe it was the latter.
Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  22:25:56  Show Profile
Cheers Glenn, he definately doesn't have retained eyecaps as i have had 2 sheds with him and i still have both of them and the eyecaps are definately still attatched to the shed.I don't understand why he doesn't use the moss box or the water bowl?It would make my life alot easier!

BTW we have exactly the same post count!

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/06/2009 22:27:37
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  06:58:06  Show Profile
But the bath could work as dimpled eyes can mean dehydration....

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  12:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

Cheers Glenn, he definately doesn't have retained eyecaps as i have had 2 sheds with him and i still have both of them and the eyecaps are definately still attatched to the shed.I don't understand why he doesn't use the moss box or the water bowl?It would make my life alot easier!

BTW we have exactly the same post count!

I think it's more than likely de-hydration as the bath was definately successful at putting the indentation right.
The only way i can get montiiee to use the moss box is to remove the other hides. I've had no problems since, so fingers crossed.

BTW No we haven't lol.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000