New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  21:03:26  Show Profile
been haveing problems with heat mats not being able to get temps over 80f add some advice but would like to see what other people have had problems with heat mats and getting temps right.

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  21:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
we had exactly the same prob! we have a heatmat on bottom which is sittin on a towel, a heatmat on the back (both up same end) and we have a lamp on with 40watt bulb which we put on to boost heat! we also covered up the top of her plastic viv!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  12:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
It is a problem at the moment- ours are struggling so have put winter bulbs in (40W instead of energy savers).

The BRB viv is especially hard to keep warm- don't know if the high humidity is affecting the temperature, but we've had to put her two heat mats on.

The snakes are warmer than we are I think- I make Lewy put a jumper on if he's cold. I'm tight with the central heating

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  19:38:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by vicki

we had exactly the same prob! we have a heatmat on bottom which is sittin on a towel, a heatmat on the back (both up same end) and we have a lamp on with 40watt bulb which we put on to boost heat! we also covered up the top of her plastic viv!

can you tell me please is your bulb inside the viv or hanging over the top.also what do your mats read.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  20:00:43  Show Profile
i tested a mat that was given to me the other day for free, just to see if it worked.
left it plugged for a few hours with a spare dial thermometer on and it didnt go over 32*cish.

have you thought about changing your mat???

Edited by - dazb on 29/10/2008 20:01:29
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  20:12:06  Show Profile
Has the mat you are using delaminated (if thats a word)? It looks like flat bubbles of air in the mat.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  22:18:54  Show Profile
mine that i had tested has...didnt realise that was a problem.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  22:25:32  Show Profile
its not a problem at all. They still work fine. The one i use for Zavvi has loads of bubbles. Its just sometimes it can reduce the heat produced.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  13:56:24  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by bikesfred54

quote:
Originally posted by vicki

can you tell me please is your bulb inside the viv or hanging over the top.also what do your mats read.

its hangin outside of the viv. if the bulb isnt on the mats on there own will read bout 84f with the bulb on it goes up to 90f

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000