New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ladystardust
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  16:14:07  Show Profile
hi guys, was wondering if other peoples baby royals are as shy as frank, he hasnt come out of his hide on his own yet he just stays curled up in a ball

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  17:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
That's typical for a Royal (most anyway)

They aren't very active and like to wait until you've gone to bed before they come out exploring.

Just keep handling regularly and it should bring him out of his shell a bit eventually

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  17:23:30  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Try to use the same soap/handwash before you handle him every time too. He'll soon associate that smell with you and realise that you are no threat to him.

I know it sounds mad but talk to him with the viv open too. Not sure if it's the vibrations of your voice or the scent of breath but they soon recognise that and associate that with you as well.

Above all else don't give up. Sherman is quite happy wrapped around my arm while I walk around the house now and I've only had him a couple of months.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
268 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  17:41:00  Show Profile
mine are more active at night

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals
1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  18:32:57  Show Profile
Zavvi gets up at 6pm and is in a hide when i get up in the morning

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  20:45:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Just keep handling regularly and it should bring him out of his shell a bit eventually

going the other way seems to have worked with Queenie, handling for a short period once a week only. he's a lot more active and confident in his RUB and that's starting to show when he's handled too. i suppose they're just individuals (didn't mean to shout down your idea Kaz!)

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

RoyalLove
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  14:08:34  Show Profile
some will hide like this, some are confident from day one and investigate loads.
i have 2 that investigate lots and never ball and 2 that hide away and ball alot, these 2 are very new though and im hoping with time they will start to get abit more adventurous!
if he is only a baby its understandable, take the advise people have given on here and hopefully he will grow more confident in his surroundings and with you! x

1.1 Normal Royal Python
Napolean and Lola

0.1 Albino royal Python
Summer

1.0 100% het albino Royal Python
Phoenix

0.1 Sexy Pastel Royal Python

PLUS other snakes and lizards
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  14:29:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You've only had it since Saturday so I would not advise handling it at all. Let it settle in, try offering food 7-10 days after you got him to allow him time to settle. If he eats, then give him another couple of days to digest before handling.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000