New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  09:46:14  Show Profile
i have sorted my rub out ready to use.and i know that others on here have had problems getting temps right useing heat mats in there rubs and have had to use something extra to get temps where they need to be.heat mats dont seem to work if you put them on the side or roof of the viv.so i have been playing around with mine because our house can get cold at night and it would be nice to have a little bit more ajustment on the stat with winter temps.so why not put the heat mat inside the rub doing it this way its easy to get the temps you need and still have a bit to spare.if you were to set a big viv up with a heat mat in a wooden viv the heat mat would go on the floor.and trying it this way i have not had to use any thing else to get the temps right.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  10:14:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't suggest putting the heatmat on the side or the roof as the snake won't be there. Heatmats only heat up what is in contact with them, not the air, so its best to have it underneath the RUB, with a digital thermometer measuring the temperature on the substrate above it.

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  10:44:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I wouldn't suggest putting the heatmat on the side or the roof as the snake won't be there. Heatmats only heat up what is in contact with them, not the air, so its best to have it underneath the RUB, with a digital thermometer measuring the temperature on the substrate above it.

as i said heatmats dont work on the side or roof of the viv.and putting the heat mat inside the rub gives far better results with getting the temps right.i have it set up underneath at the moment but putting it iside on a stat give you alot more ajustment.
Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  10:47:38  Show Profile
sorry forgot to say put the heat mat inside the rub on the floor.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  13:48:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Then just make sure its well covered and the snake can't got directly onto it. I would always recommend underneath the RUB.

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  18:08:11  Show Profile
quote:

Then just make sure its well covered and the snake can't got directly onto it. I would always recommend underneath the RUB.

can you tell me please am i missing something as if i was to put her in my 30in wooden viv i would have to put the heat mat on the floor.can you tell me what the diference is with putting the mat on the floor of a rub.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  18:16:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If you have a heatmat inside any viv, wooden or plastic you should have it covered. Some people use floor vinyl, some use newspaper etc.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  18:19:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
PS, obviously when you move to a wooden viv you could change to a heat lamp to avoid the issue completely.

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  21:05:40  Show Profile
quote:

PS, obviously when you move to a wooden viv you could change to a heat lamp to avoid the issue completely.

i now have the mat getting higher temps stat was not working.hot end great cool end not so great is it just a case of waiting for it to sort its self out.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Never trust the temperature dial on the thermostat, use a digital thermometer to calibrate it. What temp is the cold end?

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  17:47:05  Show Profile
quote:

Never trust the temperature dial on the thermostat, use a digital thermometer to calibrate it. What temp is the cold end?

i all ways use digital thermometers.and never trust the dial on the stat.but the on-off habistst i got will not work with my 7 watt heat mat only on mats with a higher wattage my cool end is 71f and thats with the hot end on 95f and no shes not in there yet.i have 3 other vivs set up with my other reps.but getting this right in a pain in the a**.thanks for trying to help.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  18:49:24  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I have Sherman's heatmat inside the viv at the cool end. I just check each day that there is plenty of aspen over the top of it.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  21:58:50  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Got my first royal this week and have been glued to the thermostat watching it go up and down up and down,finaly leveled out but getting a wooden viv in the morning.Should i place the mat inside the new viv or will it heat ok through the wooden base of the viv.
lee
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  23:09:38  Show Profile
Wood is inefficient at conducting heat so I would suggest you put the heat mat inside the viv, on the floor, and cover it with something like a tile to protect it from snake any fluid.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  23:54:26  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
a wooden viv might (will!) look nice but you need to make sure it's not too big for your Royal, they're not keen on big spaces and this could put him off his food............ not that Royals need an excuse to not eat! lol
putting the heatmat under a tub/RUB/faunarium is fine but under a wooden viv it will struggle to get up to temperature like Manc says. putting it inside is fine and covering it with a flooring tile is a good idea so the snake can't come into direct contact with the heatmat.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000