heating new viv
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  18:07:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Bought a new 2'wood today and was wondering whats the best way to heat it,ceramic,mat or red bulb.

t_king
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  18:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address
I was told to use a heat mat. And also provide a basking spot with a bulb.
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  19:20:56  Show Profile
There is no correct answer to this one. Everyone has a view that may differ but is not necessarily wrong.

Personally I go for an infra red 75 W bulb on a dimmer stat for my Royal. That's what he was used to when I got him and it suits him and keeps temps in the 3 foot viv spot on (75-88/90 F).

My Corns and King are on heat mats with mat stats. That suits them.

Hope that helps.

Ceramics work fine too if guarded and used with a pulse stat I hear but have no experience of them.

A fourth choice is the AHS (Advanced Heating System) which is a heater and stat built into one unit. Have heard good reports about them too.

Choose what you think is best- they will all work well if used properly (always with a thermostat and a digital themometer).

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Edited by - Mancunian on 08/11/2008 19:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  19:21:04  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Sherman has got a heat lamp at one end and mat at the other but that's in a 3 foot viv.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  21:02:40  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
as Royals don't tend to appreciate light much i just use a mat for Queenie. AHS and 'reptile radiators' are good at maintaining a minimum temperature in the cool end as well as keeping the warm end up to temp and they're specifically for larger vivs of 3' plus depending on the size/wattage.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  12:31:52  Show Profile
i use heat mats for both of mine controled by pulse stats and have a small normal light for viewing only.

never used heat lamps so cant really say...

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:29:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'm loving my new pulse stat, don't know why i didn't get a pulse before........... oh yes i do, i was waiting til i found a cheap one

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:49:15  Show Profile
where from GP...???

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  17:14:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
if you use a mat would the heat transfer ok through the wooden base of the viv or do you put it inside.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  17:16:09  Show Profile
With wooden vivariums the heatmat must be inside.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:19:03  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

where from GP...???

secondhand off fleabay

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000