Which way up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  08:35:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Do it matter which way up a heat mat is,i have put a heat mat in a wooden viv with some lino on top but the substate is struggling to get up to temp but the underneath of the viv is very warm to touch.Should i just have a thin layer of aspen over the mat/lino or change the lino for something else

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  20:20:26  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i think there is a right and wrong way but i've no idea if it affects the heat produced. i wouldn't have thought so. if you've covered it with a piece of lino it will take a while to get up to temperature, a thinner layer of substrate will help the heat get through to where the snake is. also what sort of thermometer are you using? the dial ones are notoriously cr@p! and don't trust the dial on the stat either, set it manually with a good thermometer

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  21:06:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I dont trust them either gp,i have been using a digi which i had for my fish,as for the temp i took the backing of the lino and a bit less substate and the temps seem fine.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  20:39:20  Show Profile
The bit with the metal stripes goes upwards.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  09:58:08  Show Profile
i put mine with the info sticker facing upwards. i dont know if it makes a difference though.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  10:28:56  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Mine's only got a visible strip at either end so that's facing up. Seems to be working ok though.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  11:49:22  Show Profile
The bit with where the cable joins the mat (on habistat ones) is flat on one side and curvy on the other side. I put the flat side down.

Edit - spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 22/11/2008 11:49:51
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  14:07:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
thats the way i got it.lable and cable side up,thanks all

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000