Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  18:00:01  Show Profile
Having already decided on a 100W ceramic heater with a dimmer thermostat for our new 3' viv, I have just read about somebody saying that even the guard gets really hot with the ceramic heater. I am now, yet again, confused. the ceramic info also says to keep it at least 40 cm (!) away from any animal.

I'd like the ceramic, as I don't want any light (the viv is in a bedroom), but our Royal does climb and wrap himself around anything that he possibly could wrap himself around, and I don't want any risk of him getting burned.

Anybody who has ceramic heaters, does the guard get really hot?

Aka "The Old Bat"

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I'd like to know this too- since my ceramic, fitting and stat should come tomorrow from 888

Hope they are ok- bought the guard the other day from Reptacular at the York Rep night. £5! Bargain!

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the guards come in different sizes, make sure a) the ceramic whill actually fit inside and b) try and get as big a guard as possible - compare prices and sizes from a few different places to find out what's generally available. obviously metal guards can get quite hot, ideally go for a plastic coated one that will protect the snake from burns from the guard AND the ceramic bulb

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:48:53  Show Profile
Thanks gingerpony, would you know if the infrared lamps get less hot? I (or, rather my oldest son) could live with the light (would just put something in front of it at night, if it was a problem), if that was safer for the snake.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  23:12:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I'd like to know this too- since my ceramic, fitting and stat should come tomorrow from 888

Hope they are ok- bought the guard the other day from Reptacular at the York Rep night. £5! Bargain!

Kaz, hows the ceramic? Have you put it up yet or are you waiting until Evra moves up a viv size?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  18:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Waiting until the new viv comes, think it'll be ok though. If it gets too hot, we'll just have to take it out and go back to a trusty heat mat

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:28:39  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Just to throw another twist into the thread. I am currently using a 100watt spot during the day in Sherman's viv and am thinking of going ceramic with both him and Matilda the corn. Both ceramics will have correctly sized guards around them. Still gonna use heat mats in both vivs at night. Lighting for viewing will be provided by those red LED lights from Pets at Home (yes Kaz. The posh one with the in-house vet). They get ambient light during the day from the windows.

Do the wattages of the ceramic heaters need to be the same as the spot bulbs or are they rated differently?

Both ceramics will be on dimming stats and heat mats will be on mat stats.

Just wanted to ask you all in case I have missed something .

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:34:19  Show Profile
Sorry to come back with another question, Paulusworm. How do those LED lights from Pets at home attach to the viv? I have some aquarium led lights, at the moment, in the exo terra glass tank that Fernando is moving out of. They attach with suction cups, with doesn't work on wood, and I haven't worked out what to do for lights yet.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:39:08  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Not sure yet but I'll adopt my usual attitude of "it bloody well will fit" . I know that's not much use to you at the moment but if you're still stuck when I've done it I'll let you know how .

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:40:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

Just to throw another twist into the thread. I am currently using a 100watt spot during the day in Sherman's viv and am thinking of going ceramic with both him and Matilda the corn. Both ceramics will have correctly sized guards around them. Still gonna use heat mats in both vivs at night. Lighting for viewing will be provided by those red LED lights from Pets at Home (yes Kaz. The posh one with the in-house vet). They get ambient light during the day from the windows.

Do the wattages of the ceramic heaters need to be the same as the spot bulbs or are they rated differently?

Both ceramics will be on dimming stats and heat mats will be on mat stats.

Just wanted to ask you all in case I have missed something .

The wattage doesn't really matter if they're on a stat, 100W will be fine I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  19:00:19  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Cheers B.E. . Just gotta find a slightly taller/deeper 3' viv for Matilda now.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 20/12/2008 19:02:10
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  22:35:11  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Sorry to come back with another question, Paulusworm. How do those LED lights from Pets at home attach to the viv? I have some aquarium led lights, at the moment, in the exo terra glass tank that Fernando is moving out of. They attach with suction cups, with doesn't work on wood, and I haven't worked out what to do for lights yet.

When I had these for my cecil's viv, I just put a small beading of superglue around the suction cup and pressed it firmly into place, worked a treat.
hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  08:54:59  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
for those that wonder if the guard get warm, it will, but only during the initial warming up period, when its on constantly. After the viv is up to temp the stat controls the ceramic and it merely maintains heat, rather than blasting it out for several hours constantly.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  12:33:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by karl

for those that wonder if the guard get warm, it will, but only during the initial warming up period, when its on constantly. After the viv is up to temp the stat controls the ceramic and it merely maintains heat, rather than blasting it out for several hours constantly.

wot a great point karl.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
If Lewy wasn't poorly, sick and dying (the dreaded man flu mi'thinks) he could have used today to get Evra's ceramic set up.

Will have to wait a bit longer to tell you if they are any good

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  17:13:05  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

If Lewy wasn't poorly, sick and dying (the dreaded man flu mi'thinks) he could have used today to get Evra's ceramic set up.

Will have to wait a bit longer to tell you if they are any good

It's a race then !

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  17:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
That's not fair though! You are running at full power. I'm running a race carrying ill Lewy and it'll be like running a three legged race against Jake the Peg. I've no chance

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  18:13:46  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Been talking with one of the guys at the rep shop about installing ceramics. He's putting them in his vivs too and it's starting to sound like a right pain in the arse. I really don't want to have the ceramic hanging in the viv cos both of mine like climbing and those clamp lamps look really attractive.........NOT!!! Any ideas?

p.s. Get well soon Lewy. I still want my frog icon .

Edited by - Paulusworm on 27/12/2008 18:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  10:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Didn't Father Christmas bring you a frog icon for Christmas Paulusworm?

Unlucky!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  12:31:48  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Bah Humbug!!!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  12:50:43  Show Profile
i got one

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked