Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  20:09:31  Show Profile
hi guys,

i was wondering if a infra red bulb is considered as a light source and if it can be used with a pulse stat...

i know you cant use lamps with a pulse due to the light flashing, but since a infrared lamp doesnt give of any light is it counted as a lamp or not...

also with the constant on/off would its life span be shortened

any help would be great...

cheers

Edited by - dazb on 09/12/2008 20:10:43

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  22:30:51  Show Profile
Purely an educated guess but I would have thought the life span would be shortened, as
it is effectively just turning on and off.
With regards to it effecting the snake, I'm not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  23:17:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Do you mean an actual Infrared Bulb, or a Red Bulb sold as Infrared such as: http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=832&ProductGroupID=711

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:09:07  Show Profile
Actual infra red heat lamps...

are ceramic and infra red the same???

Edited by - dazb on 10/12/2008 18:11:48
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Some Ceramics are referred to as Infrared. If there is no actual light then you are ok with a PP Stat.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  20:38:11  Show Profile
I use an infra red bulb (75W) for heat for my Royal.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1875&ProductGroupID=945

It works very well, keeping a constant warm end temp of 31C, but I use a dimmer stat. I don't think you should use pulse proportional stst with a light heat source.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  20:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

I don't think you should use pulse proportional stst with a light heat source.

or your snake will have a permanent disco!
light on....... light off....... light on....... light off.......light on....... light off....... light on....... light off.......light on....... light off....... light on....... light off.......light on....... light off....... light on....... light off.......

(I'm sure you get the idea )

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:01:57  Show Profile
but infra red is invisible...

isnt it????

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yes it is, Manc said about a light heat source that emits light AND heat

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:54:11  Show Profile
Isn't the infrared light invisible to snakes, but visible to humans?

Mancunian, what size viv do you have? I have just bought a new one that is 36"x21"x18" and am trying to decide what to heat it with (ceramic or infrared), but thought I'd need a 100W lamp; from what you are saying, I'd probably be ok with 75W.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  16:29:59  Show Profile
Infrared is invisible to humans aswell

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  19:22:15  Show Profile
this is the problem im talking about...

ceramic infra-red...

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1437&ProductGroupID=695

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=194&ProductGroupID=110

says it is infra-red on the box but is it???...

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=831&ProductGroupID=711

or are they both infra-red...???

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  19:33:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Details of the first one: 'Non light emitting heat source'

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  19:53:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Mancunian, what size viv do you have? I have just bought a new one that is 36"x21"x18" and am trying to decide what to heat it with (ceramic or infrared), but thought I'd need a 100W lamp; from what you are saying, I'd probably be ok with 75W.

My Royal is in a 3 foot viv and it is solely heated with a 75W infrared bulb on a dimmer stat. I keep a constant temp of 31C at the warm end with this. Even in this cold weather the bulb is kept relatively dim to maintain the temperature so I would say 75W is ample but if you used a 100W bulb it would just be kept at a dimmer level to maintain the same heat and vice versa if you used a 50W bulb.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  20:10:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:

My Royal is in a 3 foot viv and it is solely heated with a 75W infrared bulb on a dimmer stat. I keep a constant temp of 31C at the warm end with this. Even in this cold weather the bulb is kept relatively dim to maintain the temperature so I would say 75W is ample but if you used a 100W bulb it would just be kept at a dimmer level to maintain the same heat and vice versa if you used a 50W bulb.

Snap.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  22:16:40  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by I-M

So your infrared lamp is one of those that emit a little bit of light and is not called ceramic? Do you still need to use a ceramic lamp holder with it? Does it get very hot, and does the actual guard get very hot?

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  20:59:52  Show Profile
quote:

So your infrared lamp is one of those that emit a little bit of light and is not called ceramic? Do you still need to use a ceramic lamp holder with it? Does it get very hot, and does the actual guard get very hot?

It is a IR bulb, not a ceramic. It is not in a ceramic bulb holder. The bulb get sas hot as I set the stat to (31C). The guard does not get very hot.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  21:56:33  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

It is a IR bulb, not a ceramic. It is not in a ceramic bulb holder. The bulb get sas hot as I set the stat to (31C). The guard does not get very hot.

Thanks! After all this, I have still decided to go for a ceramic, as it doesn't produce any light. This snake business is as much of a worry as bringing up babies was!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000