Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Question Time!! (Sorry Guys and Girls!!)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aoife1395
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  21:51:24  Show Profile  Click to see aoife1395's MSN Messenger address
Hi All!! Some of ye might know that I've just joined and I'm thinking about getting a Royal Python within the next year or so. I have some questions to ask, and would appreciate if anyone could answer one or two!

-What size housing will the python need when fully grown? I have a 2 foot vivarium for when its young, and have no problem buying a bigger viv as it grows.?

- I have read many many times that they are fussy feeders. I know that keeping the temps right, stress levels of the snake down, can help. I've also read about warming the snake in a warm bath before feeding, feeding live (not too keen on this though...), or offering different food types(chicks, gerbils etc)... I've had a corn snake before and have no problems feeding defrost. On another note, I would prefer not to feed live, as its unfair on the rodent,(I keep fancy mice as pets!!) but also the rodent may harm the snake?

-Is a heat mat or a heat lamp better? Obviously a lamp gaurd would be needed for the lamp, and the heat mat should be on a stat to keep the temperatures right...

-Does anyone have a picture of a fully grown royal python? I have seen some coiled up but this photo's aren't showing the actual lenght and girth of the snake.

Thanks in advance, sorry if its too many questions!!!

With Kind Wishes
Aoife x

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  22:17:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aoife1395

Hi All!! Some of ye might know that I've just joined and I'm thinking about getting a Royal Python within the next year or so. I have some questions to ask, and would appreciate if anyone could answer one or two!

-What size housing will the python need when fully grown? I have a 2 foot vivarium for when its young, and have no problem buying a bigger viv as it grows.?

The maximum size viv you will need is a 4x2x2

- I have read many many times that they are fussy feeders. I know that keeping the temps right, stress levels of the snake down, can help. I've also read about warming the snake in a warm bath before feeding, feeding live (not too keen on this though...), or offering different food types(chicks, gerbils etc)... I've had a corn snake before and have no problems feeding defrost. On another note, I would prefer not to feed live, as its unfair on the rodent,(I keep fancy mice as pets!!) but also the rodent may harm the snake?

To be honest feeding live is pretty avoidable if you dont want to do it. Not many have needed to. Aslong as the snake isnt losing any weight its not a concern if its fasting. There are loads of ways we can suggest to you to get your royal to feed if it starts refusing

-Is a heat mat or a heat lamp better? Obviously a lamp gaurd would be needed for the lamp, and the heat mat should be on a stat to keep the temperatures right...

Im currently using a heat mat with a mat stat in a 2.6 ft viv, but when mines in a 3/4 ft viv I will be changing to a ceramic.

-Does anyone have a picture of a fully grown royal python? I have seen some coiled up but this photo's aren't showing the actual lenght and girth of the snake.

Saddleninja can help here im sure

With Kind Wishes
Aoife x

Go to Top of Page

aoife1395
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  22:42:08  Show Profile  Click to see aoife1395's MSN Messenger address
Thank You!! Thats a great help!! Starting to take notes now!! :)

Aoife x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  22:42:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by aoife1395

With Kind Wishes
Aoife x

I have not heard of this, I would not recommend handling a non-eating Royal.

I have my larger one in a 3' x 2' viv with an infrared heat bulb.

Whilst Royals can be a pain feeding, a lot aren't and if you get one that's quite established you should be ok.

Edited by - Blackecho on 12/12/2008 22:43:40
Go to Top of Page

aoife1395
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Click to see aoife1395's MSN Messenger address
Thank You. I have only heard of putting them in a warm bath before feeding, once, and hopefully my royal will be an ok feeder :)

What Temperatures should the hot end/cool end be?

Thanks again
Aoife x
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  23:10:23  Show Profile
32*C on the hot end and a warm-ish room temperature on the cold end

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  23:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have 30-32C hot end and 22-25C cool end.

Go to Top of Page

aoife1395
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  11:02:49  Show Profile  Click to see aoife1395's MSN Messenger address
Thank You!!

Going to start buying the tank etc now as I think my 2foot isn't suitable. It has a uv 10.0 fitted (and they dont need any uv) and the mat is already at a certain temp for my gecko's in the other side (its a 4 foot viv halved)....

I will buy a faunarium and I already have a heat mat to cover 1/2 - 1/3 of the tank.

Aoife
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000