Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  20:48:54  Show Profile
ok guys,

my big girl is addicted to gerbils.

i have had since november and she has no interest in rats wotsoever. she has had one but i defrosted it with a gerbil at the same time.

she has refused last two attempts on a rat then a weener rat. offered her a gerbil tonite and she instantly sniffed it out and struck and ate it.
she has also taken day old chicks in the past.

wen i offer her rats she just backs away hides like she is scared of them.

any ideas and sugestions???

cheers

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  21:44:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just perseverance mate, keep trying the rats defrosted with the gerbils, or maybe try smearing some gerbil juice on a the rats.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  21:51:19  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I think mine might of gone off them too daz,he has taken them before then seem scared of the last two weaners,but then he was going through a shed,going to try again tomorrow as he's back out searching around now.
we'll just keep a live one and give the weaner a good rubbing with it

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  22:05:16  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
with Marilyn i give her a mouse 'starter' as she really likes mice, then as she's finishing the mouse i put the rat weaner's head in her mouth, she usually pauses then carries on munching. it's just getting the timing right with her, if she's finished the mouse she won't entertain the rat weaner, if the mouse's back legs are just disappearing then i've cracked it!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2008 :  22:26:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well done Ali.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  11:57:05  Show Profile
will try defrosting them both together and try follow on feeding also.

she is a big girl and gerbils are not sufficient for her IMO, she would need at least 2 a week, and gerbils aint cheap!!!. so i need to get her crossed over eventually.

i know she is feeding and she is putting weight on so im not worried, would just be happyier if she was taking bigger meals. but suppose i cant have everything...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2008 :  23:59:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
mine was a false alarm,he took a large weaner tonight,no probs,must of been just due to shedding

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Evra is still resisting the rats too DazB. I'm sure we'll get them switched over soon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000