Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  18:43:58  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a royal python, It is about a year old, and it hasn't eaten anything since I got it, I have tried everything, peircing the pinky's head, different sized pinky's, warming it up, wiggling it around, My tank is an exo terra 1 and a half foot long by about a foot wide and half a foot tall, I use chippings as substrate, and it has a single log at the hot end and a small water bowl at the other end. Any help is much appreciated, as I am getting really worried about him.

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  19:00:11  Show Profile
hi there and welcome,

A royal at a year old should be on minmum rat weeners. why are you feeding him pinkys?

also how long you had him? you should leave him at least about a week in most peoples opinions to settle in.

In my opinion the tank is only just big enough for him also. He is ready for the next size up.
Is there hides? there sould be a hide in the hot and cold end.

What are the temps at either end also?

Edited by - dazb on 06/01/2009 19:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How long have you had him and is he losing weight?

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  20:17:57  Show Profile
Pinkies on a year old?

Maybe he just doesn't think its actually food lol.
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  06:51:12  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

hi there and welcome,

A royal at a year old should be on minmum rat weeners. why are you feeding him pinkys?

also how long you had him? you should leave him at least about a week in most peoples opinions to settle in.

In my opinion the tank is only just big enough for him also. He is ready for the next size up.
Is there hides? there sould be a hide in the hot and cold end.

What are the temps at either end also?

Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  06:59:34  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Hi Thank youy for your reply, I now have a hide box on either end of the tank, and a branch in the middle, I was told by the man in the shop that small pinky's would do. I will upload photo's of his tank, him and the pinky's he has been on. Sorry about the other reply, iyt was just a quote.
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  07:05:41  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

How long have you had him and is he losing weight?

I don't think he is losing weight, as he is still active when held. I was told that folds sometimes appear in their skin when they loose wieght, but he does not have any. i cannot tell the temp of the tank yet. The starter kit I bought did not come with a thermometer, but according to the thermostat the temp in the hot end of the tank is around 82 f at the hot end. I am going to get a thermometer and humidity guage next time I go to the pet shop. I have heard lots of clashing info on pythons, especially about humidity, so could you give me a rough idea on what the humidity guage should read? Thanks again for your reply
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:45:50  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
If you look at this link you can compare what your feeding to what you should be feeding,as the other have said at 1 year he should be on weaned rats or extra large mice.Try to feed prey the same thckness as the thickest part of the snake.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:44:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
82 may be a bit cool for him to be able to digest, so he may be choosing not to eat. 90-92F should be about right for the hot end, however, this shuold be checked on a thermometer as stats are not very accurate.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:45:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Also, if he's not losing weight, don't worry, a lot will naturally fast at this time of year. However, I would recommend not handling (apart from to weigh once a fortnight) until he's eating as the handling may stress him out.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  21:45:57  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if it's an E-T glass viv he might also be feedling a bit vulnerable and exposed. try covering 3 sides of a glass viv to make them feel more secure about their environment which can, in turn, get them feeding.

also where are you measuring the temps and what with? thermometer probes should be on the substrate where the snake is and dial termos are notoriously inaccurate!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  17:55:22  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
I don't think he is losing weight, and his behavior is normal, I will try to feed him again tonight, I looked at the chart, and it conflicts with what the pet shop told me by miles. The pet shop told my mum my royal should be fed those really tiny pinkies that are about an inch long, but the chart says he should be on large or x-large rats! I need to investigate this further, but thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:29:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
when i first got my 08 Royal he wouldn't touch mouse pinkies, like Mulv said, I don't think they even recognise it as food it's so small!

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  20:02:06  Show Profile
i didnt think royals had pinkys even as new borns...

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  20:27:21  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i wouldn't normally have bothered with a pinky, they're definitely too small for any size Royal, it was in desperation, trying to get him to eat anything!

Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  19:45:49  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Gingerpony, what alternative can I TRY, i can only get hold of chicks, pinky's, and maybe rats, I might be able to get live chicks from my friend's chicken farm, I heard this can be used to get them eating again, should I give it a go?
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  19:50:20  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
I'm going to try feeding him again tonight, but I only have small pinkies, is there a failsafe way of enticing them to eat, I'm getting really worried now, It seems as if I am doing everything wrong, he has already bit my Mum, He won't eat, and this whole situation is turning into a nightmare, every little thing that could possible go wrong is going wrong, temperature, humidity, feeding, just everything!
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:10:23  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Hello John and welcome .

Don't worry. We've all been through the "AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! F*****G SNAKE !!!" stage too. Just keep calm and stick with it. I still have to feed my bad-ass, psychotic adult corn snake with gloves on. Your royal will chill out sooner rather than later.

Like the guys were saying earlier, it could be refusing because of the temps. I have to irritate the living hell out of Sherman, my royal, with his food to get him to eat it at the moment. Just be patient and it will take it eventually. I get soooooo bored sometimes that I end up doing a puppet show with the rat while I'm waiting for him to take it .

As they say in the Adam Sandler films, "You can doo eeet!"

Let us know how you get on and don't be afraid to ask. There is no such thing as a silly question .

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:28:19  Show Profile
dont panic...

on the feeding side royals can go weeks without eating with no ill effects. As for setting up the viv yours only needs adjusting.

getting tagged is all part of snake keeping im affraid

Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  14:45:26  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Hey, thank you for the reply, very uplifting, seeing as I just tried to feed him again with no luck, and by the way my name is Cameron not John, I just wanted to see if anyone would notice that I had put the same fake name as Doctor Who always uses, so yeah, I'll chane it soon. Thanks again, the puppet show idea is a really good one by the way, I might try it.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  15:01:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cdd007

by the way my name is Cameron not John, I just wanted to see if anyone would notice that I had put the same fake name as Doctor Who always uses

Haha thats so random

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000