Feeding tips??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kay
Hatchling

64 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  21:39:01  Show Profile
Hi I have always fed boris 08 by wiggling the rat around him with tongs. I have been giving him a rat fluff and a rat pup per feeding and last nite I decided just to leave the pup in his viv after the fluff to see if he'd take it - he didnt. Does this mean I will always have to move the food around (not that I mind) or shall I leave food there on a more regular basis and see if he takes to it? Perhaps after the fluff hes not hungry enough to go looking for the weaner? Thanks x

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  22:21:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Pup or Weaner?

Why are you giving him a Fluff and a Pup?

If the fluff isn't big enough try a small Weaner (if you're not already?)

Go to Top of Page

kay
Hatchling

64 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  22:34:54  Show Profile
Someone on here recommended it as I was feeding 2 pups and they said move up to rat fluff and a pup? Soz I didnt mean weaner earlier! They might have said that coz I said he was underweight when I bought him? They said the pup is good as its mostly fat and the fluff more for nutrition? Im not sure if hes big enough to move up to the next size? Do you recommend just feeding a rat fluff then? Thanks x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I don't think he'll get much out of the pup, especially if he's choosing not to eat it.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  22:54:19  Show Profile
from wot i undestand pups are more fat than anything else cos they dont have formed bones or fur. you need fluff upwards for the calcium and other nutrients to help with the growth and development of bones etc.

Go to Top of Page

kay
Hatchling

64 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  23:07:19  Show Profile
Ok, thanks guys. Will stick to just one fluff per feeding and see how he goes. As for the feeding, will I always have to tempt him or will he accept it if I leave it there when hes older? x
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  23:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He'll get used to it and you probably won't get a chance to leave it, mine are usually waiting and strike as soon as it gets close.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:49:26  Show Profile
Why would you want to just leave it? Feeding time is one of the highlight of keeping a snake! It's just a buzz to wait for him to strike and watch him constrict and eat.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:55:06  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sometimes they need a little more stimulation to get into feeding mode, wiggling the prey item to make it appear alive gets their attention and is a more natural way for them to feed.
rat pups, as people have already said, are more fat and less all-round nutrition. good for strting small royals feeding and for more rapid weight gain but ultimately like us living on McDonalds

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:55:56  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Feeding time is one of the highlight of keeping a snake!

.... or one of the biggest pains in the bum, lol

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:44:03  Show Profile
Ours has just refuse a tasty looking rat! But it will be offered again... It's a pain in the backside, and it also adds interest...

Aka "The Old Bat"

Edited by - I-M on 16/01/2009 21:44:21
Go to Top of Page

kay
Hatchling

64 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  10:28:45  Show Profile
Nah as I said I dont mind have to wiggle it for him for the rest of his life coz it is more fun. I just wondered what all you guys did. And all Im feeding now is a rat fluff, hes not skinny anymore so he prob doesnt need the pups. Will weigh him again this week, its been a month. Thanks for the info guys x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000