Set up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  17:21:38  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Hello again everyone, I have been told by some pet shops that foliage is a good thing to have in a snake tank, and some have said the opposite, you guys know a lot more than either of them, so I would like to run it past you first before doing anything to the tank. Also, does the water bowl need to ne big enough for the snake to sit in or can I have a smaller one, I'm thinking ahead here as I only purchased a tank that Monty can be kept in for about another year, when he can no longer be kept in this tank, should I put more stuff in his bigger tank, I heard this keeps them feeling more secure, but introducing them to new objects can be hard, and may leave them feeling insecure, can you help me out please?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  18:06:09  Show Profile
Plastic/silk plants look nice in a viv and give the snake some cover. Some real plants can be used but its not really worth the hassle. The water bowl I have for mine doesnt allow her to get in and she sheds fine with a bath and a spray.

Introducing more objects isnt really a problem. Cramming the viv full of things is good to help a snake feel secure. Scrunched up sheets of newspaper are good for that as they can be chucked out and she snake can move 'em.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  18:40:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have fake plants in mine and water bowls big enough for them to get into if they want to. Royals are quite inquisitive with new things in their viv.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:39:10  Show Profile
My understanding is that in the wild Royals move around, and don't have one home. It would make sense then that they are ok with changes in their viv.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:51:17  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
changes within their viv shouldn't be much of an issue, changing vivs completely however can stress them out enough to skip a few feeds.
my advice with artificial plants is to get them from your local garden centre rather than paying a fortune for 'reptile specific' brands

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  20:04:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

My understanding is that in the wild Royals move around, and don't have one home. It would make sense then that they are ok with changes in their viv.

In the wild Royals tend to live in disused rodent burrows, sometimes for months at a time waiting for a feed or a mate.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000