Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  00:21:54  Show Profile
our royal sid was surpossed to feed today and we don't know why is it because he got moved into a new viv

puddycat

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  02:01:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I expect so,they dont need much of an excuse to go off there food.How old is he and how big is the viv,any chance of a piccy?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  09:07:23  Show Profile
how long has he been in his new viv? you need to give him at least a week to settle before offering him food if he is in a new habitat, just leave him and only go in to spot clean and change his water

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  09:32:57  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I wouldn't panic just yet. As the other's were saying, they can go off their food for the slightest reason. Sherman keeps refusing whenever the weather turns a bit chilly. Don't worry. Give it a few days then try again. They're like children. They've got to eat eventually .

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  20:28:03  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
even moving their current viv into a different room can put them off their food, must be the different view. like wolfspirit said treat him like a new arrival - leave for a week, try a feed, leave to digest for a few days then hopefully resume as normal.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  22:36:41  Show Profile
we don't know old he is we've had him over a week and been in new viv for a week and we tried to feed him today but he didn't want it so instead we gave the fuzzy to simon our corn snake who is smaller then sid and just about managed it. he attacked and constriced and finished it off and he is just about to shed

puddycat
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  22:54:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
just give him time,royals can go weeks even months without feeding before you have to start worrying,just keep an eye on his weight,how much does he weigh now and how big is the viv and the snake?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Trying too often will stress them out, give them a few days before trying again. Maybe try a Rat Pup or Small Mouse instead, Fuzzies are a bit small for Royals and it may not seem worth it to him

Go to Top of Page

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  16:57:24  Show Profile
he bits it then leaves it. he weighs 114g and hes just over a foot long and the viv is 22x17

puddycat
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:31:51  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
maybe it's not hot enough? after defrosting i put mine in a tub over a mug of boiled water to really heat them, particularly the head end. or it could be the size of the viv that's upsetting him. the viv sounds like it's about twice the size your royal currently needs, depending on the type of viv it might be worth sectioning off half of it for him.

as a guide length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake
your viv is 22" + 17" so is suitable for a snake up to 39" long which is well over a metre!

Go to Top of Page

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  16:44:33  Show Profile
he is really active in it and loves climbing his branch but i did think it was a bit to big for when he eats could it be that he would want live food

puddycat
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  17:13:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm sure they would all eat live food, its just not necessary in most cases.

Go to Top of Page

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  01:23:39  Show Profile
sid has just had his first feed since weve had him and he nearly had some bark as well. is it ok if they eat it tail first

puddycat
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  01:28:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
If its's gone then it's ok,but eating bark is'nt so try to feed in a seperate tub when he's feeding ok again

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:52:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Or put some paper down on top of the bark when feeding.

Congrats on the feed

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  09:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
Well done on the feed, Ssssssofia had her first chomp last night too

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

puddycat
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  13:46:33  Show Profile
cool thanks for the tips will try them out

puddycat
Go to Top of Page

kam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  16:11:06  Show Profile
hi all, i'm quite new to keeping snakes, i've just got a 07 royal a few weeks back and i'm having touble feeding him, he strikes no problem when i put the mouse in but he does not hold and when i leave it in his viv he just ignores it, i've tried twice over the last week with different mice but he seems to be having none of it, any advice?
cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  20:47:59  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if he's striking try gently jiggling the mouse as if it's trying to get away (to make it seem alive!)
some are shy eaters and won't eat if you're watching so turn off the light and leave the room to see if that does the trick. how are you defrosting and hating up the prey item? and what size/type of food is he on?

Go to Top of Page

kam
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  18:49:27  Show Profile
hi, cheers for your help, sorry for the late reply i've been without internet access for a while. To answer your questions, he's on small mice at the minute and i'm defrosting and heating them up in a glass of water for about 10-15 minutes. I'm going to try again today, its been a week since I last tried. I usually have only a background, very low light on when im trying to feed him. Again, thank you for your help and I'll let you know how it goes.

p.s. going to upload a couple of pics in the pics thread.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If you can do it without the mouse/rat coming into contact with the water it may be better as it will not wash the scent off.

Either put it in a plastic bag in the water, or let it defrost on the side at room temperature and then heat it up with a hair drier.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000