matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  21:19:21  Show Profile
um.....

Get a CB royal
Sometimes they can be fussy feeders
They like smaller spaces compared to their body size compared to corns (if that makes sense)
If its eating mice you want to get it onto rats asap
Read the caresheet on this site.
The humidity effects them more compared to corns.

Theres more but I cant think of it all at the moment

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  22:47:09  Show Profile
Why get cb? I have cf and many other people do and there are no ill side effects. Most cf that come into the country are treated for parasites before they are sold on anyway, if that was your concern? I think if you have a ganders around now at cf, you will see alots changed in recent years.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  23:14:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You run more risks of diseases and feeding issues with CF, but generally there is little difference.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  23:23:28  Show Profile
Man, I'm not learning Brit-speak fast enough. What's a CF? Or an AT CF?

I only know:
CB - Captive Bred
CBB - Captive Born and Bred
CH - Captive Hatched
WC - Wild Caught

At least that's what they use here in the US...

We get reports here in the US that most CH and WC are more difficult to care for relative to the CB's. They are a lot more likely to be finicky with their food, especially WC's. And they are also more head-shy and nervous.

I wouldn't really know from personal experience. I only own CB's.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  05:39:18  Show Profile
I think your CH is CF (Captive Farmed) ... but I have no idea where you got AT CF from lol.

My CF has had shedding issues, feeding issues, and an RI in the few months I've owned him, not saying that him being a CF caused that, but hes fine now anyway (touch-wood).

If you can go CB, even if its a few extra pennies, then go CB. Less risk, especially if both are on offer.
CFs all SHOULD have been treated for parasites and checked over, but do you wanna take the risk?

Just my two cents.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  06:46:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

I think your CH is CF (Captive Farmed) ... but I have no idea where you got AT CF from lol.

Agreed.

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  08:30:05  Show Profile
I know a breeder who has all captive farmed from ghana. Each snake that he recieves are treated for parasites on arrival. From that point on they have all shed and eaten no problems all bar one.

I PERSONALLY doubt very much that cb or cf have any REAL genetic differences when it comes to shedding and eating.

Also I was also told that all cb are from a cf prior anyway. As a horrid example, i could have my cf, not get it treated for parasites, then mate it with another cf or cb and have cb babys....all of which have the same "traits" as the cf along with parasites... Im hypothesising here...

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD RESOURCE ABOUT CAPTIVE FARMING IN GHANA WITH ROYALS. http://www.faunaimportuk.com/caresheets/royal_python.htm

Edited by - blundey on 28/01/2009 08:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  11:31:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
There is no genetic difference, it just depends on the farm and how its run as to whether they have been over-stressed, properly fed, not been bothered by the transport etc etc.

There are so many CB UK Royals available there is no real reason to support the farming and taking from the wild unless you are a serious breeder looking to put new bloodlines into your stock.

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  11:34:14  Show Profile
Thats all good BE, i think my main gripe was the fact that someone said his only option should be cb. I dont see an issue with some CF. Just my 2p
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  14:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Then we agree

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:17:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blundey

Thats all good BE, i think my main gripe was the fact that someone said his only option should be cb. I dont see an issue with some CF. Just my 2p

I meant nothing by it, just that a CB animal is going to do well in captivity and a CF has a greater (but still small) chance of not taking to it (for the reasons BE has said about the farms).

And of course there is no genetic differance between CF and CB because all CB's were produced from CF and WC.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:25:27  Show Profile
both my girls are CF the reasons for this was...

my 08 it was down to the time of year i got her. the shop only had CF babies in.
the 06 was for sale in the shop afew months ago and i liked her. (i think she is CF anyway)

A royal being CF does not bother me as both mine seem to be doing well.
I also see it as a positive as i will be breeding and it put some fresh new blood out there(i think)...

Go to Top of Page

nutzyjazz
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  16:30:57  Show Profile
thanks for the replys . . .
why rats?
whats the difference between mice and rats to a snake?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  16:53:21  Show Profile
when a python is fully grown mice just arnt a big enough meal. so instead of multiple mice just feed 1 rat...

Edited by - dazb on 30/01/2009 16:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:34:51  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

when a python is fully grown mice just arnt a big enough meal. so instead of multiple mice just feed 1 rat...

feeding 4-6 mice would be a similar meal to feeding a rat. feeding that many prey items is more costly, time consuming, not as natural and not as good for the snake's digestive system.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000