feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karen arthur
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:04:05  Show Profile
I have just got a 2 and a half year old royal but she seems to be very fussy eater I have been even been opening up the head to showing the brains in the rats head but will not eat more than 1 small weaner rat every 2 to 3 weeks.
do they stop eating so much in the winter ?
any ideas on feeding tips

Edited by - Blackecho on 26/01/2009 23:05:19

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:06:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Did it do the same last winter?

It is quite common for them to slow down over winter, just be thankful its eating at all

PS. Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

karen arthur
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:09:07  Show Profile
thank you
Go to Top of Page

karen arthur
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:09:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Did it do the same last winter?

It is quite common for them to slow down over winter, just be thankful its eating at all

PS. Welcome to the forum

thank you
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  18:37:59  Show Profile
i have got a new 06 female who hadnt eaten in 12+weeks when i first got her.

started her of on rat weeners every week. sometimes she took other times she didnt. as BE says, at least he/she is feeding.

in the wild they would normally brumate to get ready for breeding at this time of year, so maybe he/she is trying to self brumate. nothing to worry about though.

wota your set up like, temps etc?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  19:58:10  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
snakes can go off their food over winter when they'd naturally be brumating. to try and convinve them it's not the depths of winter you can increase the 'daylight hours' by putting a light on for an extra hour or so and increase the temperature in the cooler end of the viv.
however, are you've not had your Royal very long, have you given her a week with no interaction to settle in? also what is your set-up like? if there's something that needs changing royals will very quickly go off their food.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  18:33:27  Show Profile
Mine has not eaten since mid-Decemebr when he had a rat pup. I have offered food every week since but he's not interested. Last week he did at least sniff the rat before turning away. I notice he isn't out so much either. I am putting it down to the season. He has only lost 20g in weight so far. But if he dosn't start eating again soon I shall be sending him off to The Priory for some eating disorder therapy.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000