New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  18:23:03  Show Profile
We have one Exo Terra extra larger hide, which really is much too big for our Royal; although, he is using it. I would like to buy one that was more suitable in size, but the opening on the Exo Terra large is quite small. I have been given the following measurements: "Approx 11" x 10" with the hole being approx 3" long and 1.5" high". The opening is wide, but very low. Do you think that our 3' or so, and 5"/5 1/2" around the belly, Royal will be ok with this?

Aka "The Old Bat"

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  18:44:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
They feel much more secure when in their hide they can curl up and touch all the sides with their body.

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:10:00  Show Profile
Thanks BE , I'm just worried that the opening is going to be too small for him, or that it will be too small very soon (I bought a medium one when he was younger, and we didn't get much use out of that one!). It's odd that they are so large inside, and have such a small opening. Is that because they are made for much slimmer snakes?

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
although royals are chunky they're also quite squishy and shouldn't find that entrance size a problem

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:34:09  Show Profile
they soon grow out of stuff...

i am using cork bark and other stuff to keep the costs down on hides. buying each stage in E-t hides isnt cheap...

if the hole is slightly tight, cos its resin you can enlarge it by cutting it.

Edited by - dazb on 30/01/2009 19:34:58
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:39:27  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
but they can burrow into the substrate a bit to make a wider entry point

i'm not a huge fan of E-T hides (although nearly all of my vivs have them in!)

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:45:25  Show Profile
I've got the extra large one which I bought with the snake (great suggestion from the shop - no it wasn't, as little snakey was just a baby..), and two shoe boxes. The only problem with the shoe boxes is that he keeps toppling them over, when he is out raving at night, and then they are upside down in the morning!

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  21:33:11  Show Profile
I like cork bark for hides, i think it looks much nicer than the ET hides..and it doubles as an aid for shedding to.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  22:51:29  Show Profile
Where do you get the cork bark hides from? Are they the ones that are open at both ends? And are the snakes as happy with them open at both ends? Any idea what size I'd need for our 3' snakey? I wonder if I have seen them on eBay, and if so, they do look nice.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  23:31:30  Show Profile
If you are handy with an oven, you can make your own exo-terra hide... especially since you got that extra large one already. It is very easy to make (I made several with my 7-year-old!) and very very cheap. Basically, you take your old extra-large exo terra hide and use it as a mold. Put the home-made clay (I'll post a link to instructions with pictures for the recipe that I followed) on the under-side of the extra large exo-terra so that your new hide will be smaller. You can then make it so that the opening is smaller/bigger or even move it to the top of the hide (which is what we did - seems like our royal likes to go in from the top of the hide instead of going on the side). Anyway, here's the instructions that I used:
http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77863
I made 6 large hides and 2 smaller ones for about $20.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:47:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by I-M

Where do you get the cork bark hides from? Are they the ones that are open at both ends? And are the snakes as happy with them open at both ends? Any idea what size I'd need for our 3' snakey? I wonder if I have seen them on eBay, and if so, they do look nice.

get them from your local rep shop. you can either get hollow tube ones or i get the large flat pieces.

been trying to get a couple of pieces for a few weeks now but apparantly there is a massive shortage in the uk.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  08:40:16  Show Profile
there have been quite a few ok ebay of late...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:34:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

I like cork bark for hides, i think it looks much nicer than the ET hides..and it doubles as an aid for shedding to.

Snap

I-M, this is what im using

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2994&ProductGroupID=1451

1 peice will be fine for a 3ft snake.

Edited by - matty18714 on 03/02/2009 18:34:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000